Mash out question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hovercar

Reaction score
I asked this question in the thread for the recipe itself a few days ago but got no response, so I figure I'll ask here:

I'm going to be making this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/black-pearl-porter-ag-24243/

And the mash schedule is copy and pasted as such (for a 5 gallon batch):

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 2.50 gal of water at 206.7 F 175.0 F 15 min

Ok, it says Batch Sparge, but there is a mash out. The mash in + mash out = 6.56 gallons of water. So is there no sparge at all - just the initial mash water plus the mash out? Is this just a terminology thing I'm not getting?

ngbbs4b56382aed1fe.jpg

i don't think you know the difference between batch sparge and fly sparge. batch sparge means you add the second amount of water to the tun with the first amount of water and stir, THEN you start to drain the tun. fly sparge means you slowly/steadily add the second amount of water at the same time that the first amount of water is slowly draining from the tun.

mash in means add the strike/mash water (the first amount of water). in the method above, the mash out water and the batch sparge water are one in the same. mash out means that you raise the water temp to 170 degrees for 15 minutes in order to stop the enzyme activity. that helps with consistency from batch to batch.

i don't think you know the difference between batch sparge and fly sparge. batch sparge means you add the second amount of water to the tun with the first amount of water and stir, THEN you start to drain the tun. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I believe most folks drain the mash before adding the sparge water when batch sparging.
This seems to be a no sparge with a mash out.
Just dough in with the 4 gallons, do the mash drain it out, see how much you collected, and then sparge with however much water you need to get your preboil volume.

i don't think you know the difference between batch sparge and fly sparge. batch sparge means you add the second amount of water to the tun with the first amount of water and stir, THEN you start to drain the tun. fly sparge means you slowly/steadily add the second amount of water at the same time that the first amount of water is slowly draining from the tun.

mash in means add the strike/mash water (the first amount of water). in the method above, the mash out water and the batch sparge water are one in the same. mash out means that you raise the water temp to 170 degrees for 15 minutes in order to stop the enzyme activity. that helps with consistency from batch to batch.

That's not a batch sparge, that's a NO sparge.

Anyway, I'd probably do this:

Mash in with 19.5 quarts (1.5 quarts per gallon)

Vorlauf and drain.

You should end up with 3.25 gallons of first runnings.

Assuming your boil volume is 6.5 gallons, you can sparge with 3.25 gallons. Vorlauf and drain.

That should work for you!

Vorlauf and drain.

Assuming your boil volume is 6.5 gallons, you can sparge with 3.25 gallons. Vorlauf and drain.

ditto to this.

It seems to me that drain then add sparge water would be more efficient than just adding mashout water. My only reasoning is that with drain-then-sparge you're adding clean water which should be better to rince the grain.

The other method is like trying to get clean in a bathtub that someone else just had a bath in without changing the water.

This all seem legit? I was going to try the nosparge method, but I just can't see it giving me the same efficiency as if I did a dunk sparge.

Vorlauf and drain.

This is what I ended up doing, BTW. The beer is now in a secondary and tastes frigging amazing.

Just a note on the OP mash schedule. 4.06 gallons of mash in water and 2.5 gallons of mash out water will not yield 6.56 gallons of wort. 13 pounds of grains will absorb something like 1.3 gallons, yielding 5.26 gallons of wort. To get 5 gallons into the fermenter you also need to account for evaporation loss, trub loss, and the volume difference at 170 versus 68 F. So there would be a batch sparge volume depending on the above calculations.

Just a note on the OP mash schedule. 4.06 gallons of mash in water and 2.5 gallons of mash out water will not yield 6.56 gallons of wort. 13 pounds of grains will absorb something like 1.3 gallons, yielding 5.26 gallons of wort. To get 5 gallons into the fermenter you also need to account for evaporation loss, trub loss, and the volume difference at 170 versus 68 F. So there would be a batch sparge volume depending on the above calculations.

Yeah, this was prior to my first brew so I had no clue about absorption, etc. I just looked at the two values and added them O_O Now I have Beersmith and it makes WAY more sense :D

Just because I don't think there is only one way to do things well, who out there doing a second addition of higher temp (185 F or so) sparge water when batch sparging and if so how much are you adding? are you splitting the 1.5 qt of water per lb of malt or adding more up to you total for boil??

I have been using Beersmith, with 1.25 qts per pound. I do a mash-out addition, generally 195 to 200 which brings the mash to 168. This helps "liquefy" the sugars. It also denatures the enzymes. My batch sparge addition is then at 168. Beersmith does all the calculations.

Back