Safale High Gravity Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I was buying some US-05 a few days ago and saw that Safale makes a high gravity dry yeast too. Anyone tried it out? On the US-05 packet it says low to medium gravity, but I’d read that US-05 could handle even up to 10-12%, is this correct? If that is the case, is that high gravity just something people would use for Barley Wines and such?

I didn't see anything about a high-gravity beer yeast on their website, unless it's one of the ones for making spirits (which I'm guessing you wouldn't want for your beer. You can use S-05 for high-gravity beers, though. It's great stuff. I've seen people use other yeasts to finish off ultra high gravity brews, but I don't actually like to drink those beers, so I haven't paid much attention to it.

On the US-05 packet it says low to medium gravity, but I’d read that US-05 could handle even up to 10-12%, is this correct?

I just got through brewing a 1060 Amber Ale using US-05. I used one sachet and had a 1014 after 5 days in the primary. I had a very strong fermentation going within 8hrs. of pitching. I rehydrated the yeast before pitching. First time I used it I did not rehydrate and it took quite a bit longer to take off and took about 3 days longer to finish on a 1045 brew.

GWJ

Back