Left Hand Milk Stout AG to PM conversion help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseApacheMaster

Reaction score
I searched the forums as days became nights and weeks became months, but I was unable to find a conversion for this recipe. Would somebody be willing to turn this fine AG recipe into a partial mash recipe?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: DCL US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 23
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 41.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days at 68F
Tasting Notes: Adapted from the Zymurgy recipe

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.

how much can you mash? Whatever that amount is, do a partial mash of the specialty grains and enough base malt to make up the differnece. Then, any left over base malt convert to DME by multiplying by 0.6 or LME by multiplying by 0.75.

For example - you've got ~3.5 lbs of specialty grain. If you can mash 5 lbs, add 1.5 lbs of 2-row to the 3.5 lbs of specialty grain for your mash. This leaves you with 5.5 lbs of 2-row. Substitute 3.3 lbs DME or 4.125 lbs LME for this.

how much can you mash? Whatever that amount is, do a partial mash of the specialty grains and enough base malt to make up the differnece. Then, any left over base malt convert to DME by multiplying by 0.6 or LME by multiplying by 0.75.

For example - you've got ~3.5 lbs of specialty grain. If you can mash 5 lbs, add 1.5 lbs of 2-row to the 3.5 lbs of specialty grain for your mash. This leaves you with 5.5 lbs of 2-row. Substitute 3.3 lbs DME or 4.125 lbs LME for this.

I should be able to do that. Would I need to adjust the hop quantities to get the right (or approximate) IBUs?

I should be able to do that. Would I need to adjust the hop quantities to get the right (or approximate) IBUs?

Depends - are you doing a full boil?

If not, you'll need to adjust since your boil gravity will be higher than the AG batch and you won't get as high a utilization from the hops. You'll need to add more hops to hit the same target IBUs.

Depends - are you doing a full boil?

If not, you'll need to adjust since your boil gravity will be higher than the AG batch and you won't get as high a utilization from the hops. You'll need to add more hops to hit the same target IBUs.

Heck no. I'd probably only boil 3 gal.

Heck no. I'd probably only boil 3 gal.

Just plugged the recipe into BeerSmith - looks like you could get away with the same hop schedule if you add the extract and lactose late in the boil (last 15 minutes). Personally, I'd probably up the bittering addition anyways. This seems like too few IBUs for a stout - even a sweet one.

Back