Nut Brown Try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I've been hooked on trying to get a good brown or english (nut) brown since trying the brown ale at Anacapa Brewery in Ventura CA. I tried some recently, but they are just not flavorfull enough (Sam Smith, Newcastle, others...) I am big on malty flavors, little hops, so this style is perfect for me....anyway here are a couple recipes I found. Let me know if you think they need more malt, less specialty.......

6 lbs. (2.7 kg) Briess light extract syrup (I would use DME)
1 lb. (0.45 kg) dextrin malt
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) Carastan malt
6 oz. (168 g) brown malt
4 oz. (112 g) crystal malt (120 °L)
2 oz. (56 g) black patent malt
2 oz. (56 g) chocolate malt
5.8 AAU Willamette hops (bittering hop)
(1.0 oz. (28 g) of 5.8% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
Notingham

maybe sub some biscuit or victory for something??? I am a little leary of too many specialty grains, as this makes a beer a little harsh.

Doesn't look too bad... The nut brown i made has matured so well... it finally started getting good and i started drinking it pretty often, now it's gone...

Try
6 lbs DME
.5 dextrin
.5 caramunich
.5 chocolate

.5oz UK Challenger 60
.75oz Willamette 15
1oz Willamette 5

That's kind of what mine looked like (it was AG), i was pleased, somewhat chocolaty and nutty and nothing was overdone. Balanced real well with the hops, barely noticed em.

That much dextrin malt without mashing will give you lots of starch (and haze, but who can tell in a Brown?). I think you would be better off using maltodextrin to improve the mouthfeel.

Pick up a copy of "Brown Ale" by Daniels & Parker. Some very good recipes there.

david_42 said:
That much dextrin malt without mashing will give you lots of starch (and haze, but who can tell in a Brown?). I think you would be better off using maltodextrin to improve the mouthfeel.

Pick up a copy of "Brown Ale" by Daniels & Parker. Some very good recipes there.

1 lb maltodextrin instead of dextrin. Thanks! I will check that book out, too.

Back