Using rinsed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDFST507

Reaction score
I recently started rinsing and reusing my yeast. What my main question is how much do I want to pitch into my starter. Should use approximately the same amount as a white labs tube? How does everyone else measure it out? Are there major side effects of over pitching. Also, realistically, how long will it last in my fridge without freezing it. I'm not up to freezing any yet but I'm sure most of it I would use within six months.

I am still figuring this out myself - so this is second hand from this forum. :)

Most people use Mr. Malty's repitching from slurry tab.

Someone posted this website the other day, and I like it a little better than Mr. Malty for some things. It will not give you a slurry amount, however.

Others with more experience will have to answer the rest of your questions.

You'll need to build up the starter to the same numbers you would using new yeast. Look at Mr. Malty's calculator.

I have/had yeast in my fridge for a little over six months that I successfully reused. I keep my yeast in the coolest part of the fridge and it sits at around 46F. The longer it's in there the more you will have to pamper your starter to get good growth.

Cool, thanks I'll check it out this weekend. Just wondered if there was a standard amount everyone used. Like 1/4 cup or a measurement like that as apposed to a cell count. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Just use Mr Malty "Repitching From Slurry" tab. If less than 2 weeks old, I do not make a starter. The mason jars I use have graduated marks so it is easy to pitch the correct amount.

Back