Splitting batches to solve maltodextrin debacle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericwatkins_utk

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed another extract dunkelweizen. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've brewed this recipe, and always love it. The recipe calls for 1 lb Maltodextrin. I used to be concerned about 1 lb, but it always comes out really nice, so I go with it.

WELL, yesterday we went to take an OG reading (target about 1048) and realized something was wrong when we hit 1063. Tracing back the steps, turns out we thought we were putting in two 8 oz bags, but actually put in two 16 oz bags. YEP, we did.

SO, I've thinking about ways to save this thing from being syrup. Do you guys think it would work if I brew another batch minus any maltodextrin, let them both ferment down, and then mix the batches half-and-half? In theory, I feel like that should get me close to the correct ratio, but I have never split batches. Any advice? :drunk:

My experiment didn't relate to maltodextrin, but I recently did a double brew to overcome an accidentially double-hopped Irish stout. I added 70 IBUs (in place of 35 IBUs) to a five gallon batch. The final gravity was a little low too, 1.008. So I rebrewed the beer, mashed at 160*F, and performed a 60 minute boil with no hops. I blended the carboys 50/50 on kegging day. The 2nd beer fermented down to 1.010, and the final blend (unsurprisingly) came in at 1.009. The blend worked out great.

I'm not sure if you'd want to go with no maltodextrin in your batch #2 or (perhaps) a small amount. At any rate, I think it could very well save the first batch.

Sure, why wouldn't it work. I've blended different hopped beers to 'tune up' the flavor profile several times. And, the big boys supposedly do it all the time.

Glad to hear the IBU experiment came out good. I think I may give it a whirl. I've heard that New Castle is actually a blend of 3 batches. I'm going to keg this stuff anyway. Maybe it will give me a chance to let one keg age nicely before its all devoured.

Latest posts

Back