Is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyReynolds

Reaction score
I brewed on Sunday, 08/02/2009. Everything looked alright, smelled alright, and all my equipment was sanitized. I came home from work the next day to see that my airlock had clogged and the lid had popped off because of the pressure. The lid was not completly off and no part of the bucket was uncovered. So, I took off the airlock, cleaned it out, pushed the lid back down and wiped down the bucket. Would the lid being on the bucket with pressure coming out of the top instead of the bubbler allow enough bacteria in to ruin my beer?

I brewed on Sunday, 08/02/2009. Everything looked alright, smelled alright, and all my equipment was sanitized. I came home from work the next day to see that my airlock had clogged and the lid had popped off because of the pressure. The lid was not completly off and no part of the bucket was uncovered. So, I took off the airlock, cleaned it out, pushed the lid back down and wiped down the bucket. Would the lid being on the bucket with pressure coming out of the top instead of the bubbler allow enough bacteria in to ruin my beer?

Depending on what style of beer you brewed, it sounds like you had some serious blow off.

We need a little more info about what you brewed to determine what is wrong exactly...

No worries!
Usually you have enought C02 forming a nice blanket on top of the beer. That is called "open fermentation". There is a higher risk of infection, but not during the most vigorous part of fermentation. :mug:

You'll be fine. The positive pressure will keep nasties out.
In the future, use a blowoff tube. Looks like this:
amberaleblowoff.jpg

Nothing is wrong. You are fine and lucky. Lucky you are not cleaning beer of the ceiling right now.

Speaking of open fermentation - Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis is an open ferm brew and it is OUTSTANDING. Check it out.

As for you blow off - Deuce as it right. Plus there is more pressure going OUT then in so any nasty creature would be blown OUT and not sucked in.

Latest posts

Back