Magic hat IPA on tour; "Encore" clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I stumbled on this delicious wheat/IPA hybrid while rushing around like a lunatic at the beer distributor trying to get thanksgiving stuff together. They list the ingredients here I.P.A. On Tour: Encore | Magic Hat Brewing Company , I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me put together an extract recipe for a 5 gallon batch with the information given. Thanks in advance, happy holidays to all!

I have not seen a clone kit for this Magic Hat brew yet, but I sure would like to see one. As this is a pretty tasty IPA!

I have not seen a clone kit for this Magic Hat brew yet, but I sure would like to see one. As this is a pretty tasty IPA!

I knew it was gonna be special when I poured it... the head retention was ridiculous!

The basic information is at the link I posted, but I have literally no idea how to go about backtracking it to an extract recipe.

I can't get it down to that low of an SRM so this is slightly darker(you could sub some extract for corn sugar, but I wouldn't compromise flavor for color), but here's my shot (I've never had the beer, but the stats are very close)

5lbs 8oz extra light dry extract
1lb 8oz wheat extract
1lb 8oz white wheat malt(steep at 154 for an hour)
1lb cara Vienna(steep at 154 for an hour)

1oz Apollo 60min
.5oz amarillo 30min
.5oz simcoe 30min
1oz amarillo 1min
1oz simcoe 1min
1oz simcoe dry hop
1oz amarillo dry hop

WLP001 Cali ale yeast

I can't get it down to that low of an SRM so this is slightly darker(you could sub some extract for corn sugar, but I wouldn't compromise flavor for color), but here's my shot (I've never had the beer, but the stats are very close)

1lb 8oz wheat extract

1oz Apollo 60min
.5oz amarillo 30min
.5oz simcoe 30min
1oz amarillo 1min
1oz simcoe 1min
1oz simcoe dry hop
1oz amarillo dry hop

WLP001 Cali ale yeast

Awesome! I'm gonna try this for one of my next batches, thanks so much dude...plus, it's always good to get advice from a fellow Ford guy:mug:

The hop and grain bill are more than likely of different proportions, this recipe uses the ingredients listed and hits all the stats but SRM (ABV,IBU). I don't think its possible to get that light of a wheat IPA with extracts due to the limitation of selection. It is by no means a clone, but will surely be VERY similar in taste.(it'll be a damn good IPA either way) You'll have to let me know what is different and we can tweak the recipe until its up to par.

The hop and grain bill are more than likely of different proportions, this recipe uses the ingredients listed and hits all the stats but SRM (ABV,IBU). I don't think its possible to get that light of a wheat IPA with extracts due to the limitation of selection. It is by no means a clone, but will surely be VERY similar in taste.(it'll be a damn good IPA either way) You'll have to let me know what is different and we can tweak the recipe until its up to par.

Very cool man, thanks.

fullmoonwolf said:
Will be brewing this this coming weekend. What are the expected IBU, OG, and FG targets.

Very cool! I have another batch in line before this one, but I can't wait to get to this one. I would probably have to do a three gallon boil and top off to five gallons with water, would that be ok with this recipe.

1lb 8oz wheat extract

1oz Apollo 60min
.5oz amarillo 30min
.5oz simcoe 30min
1oz amarillo 1min
1oz simcoe 1min
1oz simcoe dry hop
1oz amarillo dry hop

WLP001 Cali ale yeast

Just a few questions...

This is a partial mash recipe, correct? I'm super brand new to brewing, so forgive apparently foolish questions please!

Also, could I accomplish this with a 3 gallon boil, followed by a top off in the fermenter to five gallons? I'm only equipped for 3 gallon boils for the time being...electric stovetop and a 5 gallon brew kettle:eek:

I'd like to bump this thread...since I'd like to brew this as well.
The bill looks nice, so I think I may just try it out...but I'd like some feedback or experience to confirm the tastiness :)

Anyone end up brewing this one yet?

DRum

Just a few questions...

This is a partial mash recipe, correct? I'm super brand new to brewing, so forgive apparently foolish questions please!

Also, could I accomplish this with a 3 gallon boil, followed by a top off in the fermenter to five gallons? I'm only equipped for 3 gallon boils for the time being...electric stovetop and a 5 gallon brew kettle:eek:

Sorry I just noticed this thread came back to life. I didnt get emails for some reason >_<

I guess technically its a partial mash, but I see it as a extract batch with a healthy amount of steeping grains. (5 gallon paint strainer bag works great for the steep if you haven't gotten that advanced yet)

You could get close to the same flavor. But with IPA's you really want to flavor all of the liquid at once, since it has all those late additions of hops. You will want to increase your hops to make up for this.I don't have beersmith with me so I'm not confident giving an exact percentage increase. But the logic is still there, it's gonna be less hoppy so you'll have to up the hops to imitate the recipe.
I still haven't found these, but I have some new conjectures about the beer. I have not had a heavily dry hopped Magic Hat beer thus far so I would gamble a decreased dry hop my be more appropriate, like .75 Amarillo for 10 days .5 simcoe for 5 days

Back