Fresh local honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
I was given by my father-in-law a mason jar w/ 3lb15oz3/8 of honey including the jar so i'm guessing 3+lbs of fresh local honey to help with alergy's and for my tea. And asked how much so i could pay him for another jar and was kindly given a second jar. So i plan on making a small batch of mead.

I'm asking the all and knowing forums b/c i have never made a mead but have been reading up on it. If i take the 3+lbs and heat up 1gal of water up to like 115*F add the honey to disolove and then put into a small carboy and add some sweet mead yeast if this sound right? Should i be looking for some nutrients to add? Or am i looking good w/ that + time?

You will need to read the sticky at the top of the forums on SNA (staggered nutrient additions) as well as degassing your must. Also, I would avoid heating up the honey as much as possible. I've heard people having trouble with stuck fermentations when dealing with sweet mead yeasts, so I would go with a wine yeast (others might be able to comment more on this).

Avoid the Wyeast sweet mead yeast. In fact, any of the sweet mead yeast are suboptimal. Get a packet of 71B and you will save yourself a lot of grief.

If you use that, and give it nutrients as outlined in the sticky, you'll usually get a good result (as long as the honey is good to begin with).

Back