Adding cherries to a Belgian extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbarr

Reaction score
I recently received a Belgian extract kit it's not a favorite style of mine I was wondering if I could add cherry juice to it to in my opinion spice it up? If so how much and when do I add it? any help appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
If you add it, add it after the main fermentation is finished. Active fermentation will tend to drive off the aroma, so you want it in as late as possible.

The sugars will kick off a second fermentation.

Be aware, it will dry the beer out, and you may not get much cherry flavor in the end.

I have not personally used juice in my beers but I have used canned Oregon cherries, both sweet and tart. I usually puree them and add them to the secondary as the primary will ferment out the flavor and nose of the fruit. There is a little more fermentation in the secondary but just a little and there is a bigger flavor and nose for the fruit.

I usually puree them and add them to the secondary as the primary will ferment out the flavor and nose of the fruit.
Curious about doing this: Does the puree sink to the bottom? Is it difficult racking off of it to a bottling bucket? Do you need to do any kind of filtering?

Back