Please help me convert this recipe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
Ok so I have one of the clone brews books and I want to brew the "unearthly imperial IPA' recipe. It gives extract, "mini mash", and all grain recipes. I have an all grain setup but since this is such a high gravity beer, I'm going to go with a partial mash. The "mini mash" option only uses about 3 lbs of grain and I'd like to use more than that (around 6-8 lbs). Here's the "grain bill" for extract and all grain.

Extract:
8.5 lbs light DME
4 lbs pale malt extract syrup
1 lb cane sugar

All grain:
18.25 lbs 2-row
1 lb cane sugar

How much of each extract should I use if I reduce the 2-row to, say, 8 lbs. How is this conversion done?

Double the grain in the PM, and half the extract? I dunno, since I don't know what the three pounds of grain in the PM version is.

Wow, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that concept. The PM version says use 2.33 lbs 2-row and reduce the DME by 2 lbs, so I'll just triple that grain and use 7 lbs 2-row and subtract 6 lbs DME. That sound about right?

Do a quick search for BrewTarget. Its a free program designed by a guy on here that let's you put together recipes and save them. At that point you can add in however much 2-row your mash tun can handle, then make up the rest of the predicted gravity with extra light extract. I always run into the same problem, want to mash more than a mini-mash, but can't quite handle all-grain yet with the room I've got to work with.

Wow, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that concept. The PM version says use 2.33 lbs 2-row and reduce the DME by 2 lbs, so I'll just triple that grain and use 7 lbs 2-row and subtract 6 lbs DME. That sound about right?

It depends on your efficiency, but I usually get more like 1 pound two-row = .6 pounds DME.

Back