New brewer q - undissolved sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flounder1708

Reaction score
I have prepared my first wort and circa 24hrs later I cant see any bubbling through the airlock. I notice there seems to be a white sediment layer at the bottom of the fermenter (?undisolved sugar).

Question: is the undisolved sugar a problem or will it sort itself out eventually if temp is right

Should I open up the fermenter and stir to disolve the sugar, will this cause problems.

Techinicalities of brew (in case this helps):
Coopers draght + brewers sugar.
Temp was 30 degrees when mixed, I let it cool to 28 degrees before pitching yeast. Wort has stabilised at 24/25 degrees.

Thanks

Did you add any sugar to your wort before putting it in secondary?

If no, then that's likely to be normal sediment (called trub) that settles out of your beer. It's a mixture of yeast, coagulated protein, and other stuff.

That's not "undissolved sugar," (there's really no such thing in brewing, the yeast would have no trouble eating any sugar in your fementer whether it was on the top, bottom or mixed it, they are hungry little bastiges).

What you are seeing is normal, it's called "trub" and it is made up of "break material," proteins and other stuff that come from boiling and chilling your wort, as well as hopscum, and some yeast. Some grains used in wort production/beer making produce a ton of material. Some even looks like egg drop soup, during the boil and the cooling and even in the fermenter.

The stuff will all settle out in a couple weeks as the beer ferments and clears.

Relax.

Back