Electric BIAB, no pump, no element guard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do a test this weekend WITHOUT the element guard and turn the ripple element flat (horizontal) and NO PUMP. I don't have a pump.

I will use something like 7.82 pounds of grain with a standard mash thickness of about 3.9 qts/lb, striking with 7.79 gallons.

MS

What-You-See

I will try this method of yours this weekend, do you do a mash-out, set PID to 172 and stir?

I think trying a mash-out with an element in the mash without recirc or stirring is a BAD idea....
I think I would skip a mashout, or stir vigilantly while heating. You could also tighten up the hoist pulley during mashout to keep the grain bag clear of the element.

Maintaining mash temp vs raising the mash 15-20 degrees is a huge difference IMO.

@ 1MadScientist, did you enjoy playing with matches as a kid. :) j/k

I am curious as to why there is the desire to drop the bag on to the element in the first place. You two have shown that it can be done but how is it possible to not scorch the wort/grain/mash with a grain filled bag sitting on the element with no circulation?

After all, this is your beer, not ours but I can find no refrence in any how-to or class or book as to the benefits of contact with the element as being beneficial.

Please share as to why the bag isn't just secured off the bottom and why the "burning" desire to leave the bag in contact with the element.

I for one, don't see any benefit other than risking poor mash quality.

It's not a 'desire' to have the bag touch the element and more about not being concerned that it does. I think the properties of the ultra low watt density element prevent scorching. I've seen reports of people using shorter elements experiencing scorching, but not with ULWD.

It's not like I have my bag wrapped around the element, but I'm not concerned if it touches it. After 8 or 9 batches doing it this way with no scorched grain or off flavors, I think a guard is a solution for a problem I don't have.

The element guards in this thread are great ideas and are cool looking, they just aren't needed in my system or with my process.

Cheers!

I ran my test in this configuration, see pics.

The test went good as far as having no issues with a burnt bag or burnt wort.

My PID temperature did rise above my set value however. I thought that it might be because of my bag sagging between the element and sensor, don't know...

wysiwyg, do you have pictures of your setup you could share with me, I'd like to see if I might be doing something wrong.

Any ideas why my temperature didn't maintain it's temp when my water test did? Same PID values....

MS

IMG_20150524_154729228_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150619_161829057_HDR.jpg

Attached are several pictures but they look to show the same physical setup as you. I've noticed some temperature overshoot as well, but I tamed it somewhat this last brew by unclipping the bag and gently rocking it back and forth just above the element while the temp rose. By doing this the PID only had liquid to deal with instead of grains. Would a guard prevent this? Possibly, but I didn't find it too difficult to disconnect and reconnect the bag. One would only have to do this twice during a typical brew - right after dough in to stabilize temp and during mashout. My last brew had 4 mash rest and I didn't find it very inconvenient.

Hope that helps!

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks wysiwyg that was helpful.

Well, I decided to automate the mash to keep the temperature very close to the set value, like most brewers do, I guess :/

I was going to relocate the sensor lower below a mesh screen, so I bought mesh screen, then decided to move the sensor to the output of a pump.

So, here I am, another one with a pump.

I do like the small sized pumps, so I ended up with a Topsflo TD5 solar pump from USSOLARPUMPS.

So, I made a screen after all too.

Works real good, nice and tight mash temp.

MS

19593319041_90653dc04c_z.jpg

19401029110_d7cffd3cd2_z.jpg

So, here I am, another one with a pump.

a PUMP! I'm so disappointed. Kidding - I've thought about adding a pump many times but it just hasn't raised to a 'must have' yet.

At the end of the day, we all have to feel comfortable with our systems and processes to hopefully make good beer. There are SO many ways to do that, and it's fun to see what people come up with.

Cheers!

Works real good, nice and tight mash temp.

MS

Nice work! Please let us know how the Beer Gods feel about your system improvements, and if you are granted better beer for your efforts.

Debating if I want to do something similar, or just stay the simple ghetto course with a digital stick thermometer, a couple old blankets, and human interaction.

Cheers!

Have a source for the screen/mesh?

Thanks.

McMaster-Carr
Corrosion-Resistant 304 Stainless Steel Woven Wire Cloth
; http://www.mcmaster.com/#85385t27/=zkh4f6
I bought a 24" X 24" sheet of 4 X 4 mesh size, .054", and it was a bear to bend / form. :eek:

McMaster-Carr
Easy-to-Form Stainless Steel Welded Wire Cloth
I would think either of these two 4 X 4 mesh sizes would work, either .028" or .032"

; http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-mesh/=zkh2ek
; http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-mesh/=zkh2po

Back