• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Beer filter setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this filter using my current charcoal filter housing by substituting w/ 5 micron filter. Problems were had to use CO2 tank and 2 kegs to conduct filtering and after all the time it took setting everything up and filtering, I didn't see a huge difference in the finished product. Plus, I didn't know how to clean and store the 5 micron filter that i just paid for. All in all, I would just buy some fining agent and let the beer clear in secondary for two weeks. Just my experience (10 yrs AG brewer).

I recently purchased one of the hexagon-shaped plate filter setups from MoreBeer.com. I have been VERY impressed with this filter. Using the polish filter pads (less than 1 micron), I am getting totally bright beer. I have used cartridge filter setups similar to the one you mentioned, but haven't been too impressed with the cheap sediment filter cartridges available at Lowe's/Home Depot. I think you need much a much finer filter cartidge to get bright beer. These filter cartridges can be pretty expensive and need to be back-flushed and stored cold for future use. On the other hand, a pair of plate filter pads costs about $3.00, are good for about 10 gallons of beer, and can be thrown away after a single use.

Back