Batch number two... in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfishnc

Reaction score
Well, the brewing process is complete for batch number two. I brewed an American Amber this time. Last night it was fermenting nicely... bubble, bubble, bubble...

All-in-all I'd say the process went pretty smooth. There were a few things that I learned and I'll put them in place next time, but isn't that what this hobby's all about? One thing I figured out is brewing beer attracts people from all over the neighborhood!

Check out the details of the session in its entirety on my blog: www.BrewingExperiment.com

Here's a pic of me adding the first bit of hops.
p5150273.jpg

I do know that I'm not going to wait three months between brews again, that's just too painful...

eric

mmmmm hops ... It always feels like an accomplishment when a batch is in the bucket.

So what will you brew for batch number 3?

In my neighborhood I just get lots of funny looks. :D

Glad to hear brew #2 went well!

Is that a nylon mesh grain bag that you used as a strainer when your poured your wort (well, drain from the chiller) into your fermenter?

it's the nylon strainer, not really a grain bag. it came with my beer kit. i guess it was ok to use it. if not, too late now ;)

i don't have a screen / false bottom in the kettle so figured i'd try to remove as much trub as i could.

as far as batch #3, i don't know yet. got any ideas? maybe a kolsch, or a summer wheat beer.

it's the nylon strainer, not really a grain bag. it came with my beer kit. i guess it was ok to use it. if not, too late now ;)

Yes, a nylon bag is great to use for steeping your specialty grains, and can be used for straining hops. Looks like you're doing everything right and have an impressive setup for a 2nd brew!

I brew all grain outdoors now: when I was doing extract, I did that on the kitchen stove. Part of the fun doing it outside is the inquisitive remarks I get from people passing by. My neighbors that know me just ask what I'm brewing and sometimes want a sample of what's on tap. The funniest questions I've gotten: Am I making bread? and one guy thought I was making pottery :D

If you want some tips....if you're doing extract, I'm not sure the need for going up to 4 gallons. If you use more water after the boil, it's easier to cool the wort (less volume for the chiller to cool down). As for starters....they're pretty good to make (especially if they're liquid and you have a high gravity). Aerating your wort is pretty important too.

as far as batch #3, i don't know yet. got any ideas? maybe a kolsch, or a summer wheat beer.

If you're doing a summer wheat, you can also experiment with adding fruit: fruit beers are the only beers I've gotten "non-beer" drinkers to drink.

i don't have a screen / false bottom in the kettle so figured i'd try to remove as much trub as i could.

Oh okay Cool, I've only seen pictures of metal strainers. A nylon one seems a lot easier. Just tie it or bun-jee it on instead of worrying about a metal one becoming unbalanced and fall off. Great Pictures by the way!

Yes, a nylon bag is great to use for steeping your specialty grains, and can be used for straining hops. Looks like you're doing everything right and have an impressive setup for a 2nd brew!

I brew all grain outdoors now: when I was doing extract, I did that on the kitchen stove. Part of the fun doing it outside is the inquisitive remarks I get from people passing by. My neighbors that know me just ask what I'm brewing and sometimes want a sample of what's on tap. The funniest questions I've gotten: Am I making bread? and one guy thought I was making pottery :D

If you want some tips....if you're doing extract, I'm not sure the need for going up to 4 gallons. If you use more water after the boil, it's easier to cool the wort (less volume for the chiller to cool down). As for starters....they're pretty good to make (especially if they're liquid and you have a high gravity). Aerating your wort is pretty important too.

If you're doing a summer wheat, you can also experiment with adding fruit: fruit beers are the only beers I've gotten "non-beer" drinkers to drink.

thanks for the tips! i'm planning on attempting an AG by the end of the summer. i want to get the full steps and all down before i jump into that world.

as far as fruiting beer, i'm not sure how to even begin experimenting with that. i guess i could use the search tool. :)

eric

Back