Sugar question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WvBrewNoob

Reaction score
I need sugar to add to the kit I have for my first batch. I have not found any where local to buy brewers sugar. Can I use regular sugar?

WvBrewNoob said:
I need sugar to add to the kit I have for my first batch. I have not found any where local to buy brewers sugar. Can I use regular sugar?

Are you priming with it, or just trying to raise the alcohol? If its a amber to dark beer then you can add 1 pound of brown sugar unless your priming then you would use less. Or if its a light ale or lager then white sugar is ok, dont use more than one pound though

Do the instructions call for you to add sugar? What kind of kit is it? Certainly DON'T use table sugar! Check an online homebrew supply site if you don't have a LHBS and look for sugar/additives.

The kit calls for 2.2 lbs of sugar(preferably brewing sugar) it says, to be added to the fermenter.

WvBrewNoob said:
The kit calls for 2.2 lbs of sugar(preferably brewing sugar) it says, to be added to the fermenter.

I used 2.2 pounds of corn sugar with my Coopers lager kit, and I'm not overly happy with the results. Though it is drinkable, it does sort of have a cidery taste. It would have been worse with just plain table sugar. Then maybe I just wish it was hoppier.

It would be great if you could get some DME to use.

I'm getting to where I think Guinness Draught tastes like water. I'm think I'm turing into a confirmed hop head... :eek:

Lounge Lizard said:
I used 2.2 pounds of corn sugar with my Coopers lager kit, and I'm not overly happy with the results. Though it is drinkable, it does sort of have a cidery taste. It would have been worse with just plain table sugar. Then maybe I just wish it was hoppier.

It would be great if you could get some DME to use.

I'm getting to where I think Guinness Draught tastes like water. I'm think I'm turing into a confirmed hop head... :eek:

Use a pound or less of lyles golden syrup, it gives a nice taste to beers

WvBrewNoob said:
OK if I can get DME how much do I use to substitute for 2.2 lbs of sugar?

I'm not one of the resident experts here (still a noob myself), but I would say you wouldn't get into too much trouble substituting pound for pound in your case. If it was me, since DME isn't totally fermentable, I would just use a whole three pound bag of it. It would boost the alcohol a tad and wouldn't hurt anything. You might want to save a cup and a 1/4 or more (depending on the size of your batch) back for priming. Or you could use sugar for that.

OK I have 3 lbs of lactose and I am going for it LOL. The recipe calls for 2.2 lbs of sugar, if I add more than that it will simply increase the alcohol content right?

STOP!

Lactose will not ferment and you will have a soda-sweet ale. It is used in milk stouts specifically because it doesn't ferment and will sweeten the final product.

WvBrewNoob said:
OK I have 3 lbs of lactose and I am going for it LOL. The recipe calls for 2.2 lbs of sugar, if I add more than that it will simply increase the alcohol content right?

Hey, I didn't say anything about lactose. lol

Step away from the mammaries until someone else can help you with that question. I don't know a single thing about lactose other than it might be made from milk.

Lactose is also known as milk sugar as it is the main carbohydrate in milk. In the bad old days, stout makers would advertise, "All the nutrition of 10 oz. of milk in each pint." As I mentioned, it doesn't ferment.

Since you are having trouble finding corn sugar, you could try honey (equal weight). You would be making a branch or braggot. Or just use table sugar and accept the fact that it will taste a bit like cider.

david_42 said:
STOP!

Lactose will not ferment and you will have a soda-sweet ale. It is used in milk stouts specifically because it doesn't ferment and will sweeten the final product.

Thats correct, but it will also cause a haze problem in light beers

Skip the sugar and use malt extract. You need a total of about 6-7 pounds of malt extract for a 5 gallon batch. Most of the imported single can beer kits instruct you to use a kilo (2.2#) or so of sugar as a cost effective filler/substitute versus using all malt. The final product can be called and resembles beer but will be an inferior product. If you ever had anyone mention drinking bad homebrew, this is where it begins. Not having all the details regarding your situation, this is just what I made of it.

PT Ray said:
Skip the sugar and use malt extract. You need a total of about 6-7 pounds of malt extract for a 5 gallon batch. Most of the imported single can beer kits instruct you to use a kilo (2.2#) or so of sugar as a cost effective filler/substitute versus using all malt. The final product can be called and resembles beer but will be an inferior product. If you ever had anyone mention drinking bad homebrew, this is where it begins. Not having all the details regarding your situation, this is just what I made of it.

If you misuse the sugar then thats where the bad homebrews you talk about begin to appear, Ive made numerous brews that had sugar in them, and turned out primo. I Think that your right on the taste though. Beers made with all dme, extract, grain, etc do have a richer taste to them, but sometimes different sugars add a nice touch. cheers

WvBrewNoob said:

Whew, I hope we've caught you before you do this. I know I'm just reitterating what other people have said here, but do not, do not add that much lactose. Usually I wouldn't be this firm, but man, don't do it! Like the nice men have said, it won't ferment, and it'll make your beer taste awful.

rewster451 said:
Whew, I hope we've caught you before you do this. I know I'm just reitterating what other people have said here, but do not, do not add that much lactose. Usually I wouldn't be this firm, but man, don't do it! Like the nice men have said, it won't ferment, and it'll make your beer taste awful.

It would make a very nice beer kool-aid!!!

WvBrewNoob said:

OMG I think my guts are starting to churn just reading that. 3lbs of Lactose would kill me . . .just a reminder dont forget to let people know ya used lactose in a beer or you culd be in for 1 hell of a smell if they are intolerant.

oh yeah and 3lbs of Lactose is BAD . . .way way way way way too much

A quick number crunch would suggest using 2.4 lbs DME (Dry Malt Extract) in place of the sugar. Might as well make it 2.5 lbs - or more, wouldn't hurt :)

And to join in all the panic shouting, step away from the lactose :)

Now that I have everyones atention LOL.

I have got some bad advice from the guy who I bought the beer kit from. I have not started the batch yet as I was not sure if things were right.

To go with a Irish style stout what DME would you all recommend.

That kind of depends on if you're steeping grains along with using the extract. If you aren't using any grains whatsoever, get the darker stuff. If you have specialty grains for color and flavor, try using light DME.

Back