Fermentation Q - Is this bad? (Pics included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPatch

Reaction score
The kraeusen in both of my fermenters is a bit darker in color and has some dark patches, which concerns me. I have 2 batches going now, an ipa and a scotch ale. The ipa is on its 8th fermentation day and has slowed down, but is still steadily bubbling. The scotch ale is on its 6th fermentation day and is still bubbling away.

Here is a link to the pictures of the fermentation vessels - http://www.flickr.com/photos/75473613@N02/

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! :mug:

Collin

You beer is fine. Krausen can look like anyhting, and have multiple colors, it's fine.
Have you ever seen cotton candy where some of the strands get a little moisture and it gets darker? It's really the same thing, it means nothing.

Good deal - thanks for the advice. Based on the fermentation pics, how much longer should I wait before bottling? There seem to be dissenting opinions on how long to leave beer in the fermenter. I've read anything from 5-7 days to 3 weeks.

Based on the fermentation pictures you should wait until it is done. Proof of being done is by hydrometer reading, not by looks and even when the hydrometer says it is done it should still have more time. My best dark beer so far spent 4 1/2 weeks in the fermenter. Your lighter beers would likely to be ready to bottle between 2 and 3 weeks from the time you pitched the yeast. Don't try to rush it unless you like your beers to be sub par.

I'm gonna have to disagree...

That beer looks completely contaminated; I'll be down tomorrow morning to take it off your hands and perform some extensive testing on it in laboratory conditions.

:tank:

Thanks all. These are the first batches that I have every brewed, so I am trying to learn as best I can. I want them to turn out well!

Back