How to turn AG recipes into extract ones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
I see recipes I want to make all the time that are AG. I am not ready for AG so is there a way to convert the grain bill into DME and LME and steep the specialty grains?

Like say the grain bill is:

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

I know I can steep the Crystal but what about the Vienna and the 2-Row?

I see recipes I want to make all the time that are AG. I am not ready for AG so is there a way to convert the grain bill into DME and LME and steep the specialty grains?

Like say the grain bill is:

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

I know I can steep the Crystal but what about the Vienna and the 2-Row?

Vienna doesn't come in an extract, as far as I know. So you can either do a partial mash with it and the crystal (very much like steeping), or just leave out the Vienna and sub with extract. For the 2-row, generally 1 pound grain = .75 pound pale LME- .6 pound light DME.

For this recipe:
6 pounds DME
.5 pound crystal 10L

Where the Vienna malt and 2 row are exchanged for extract.

Or a PM:
5 pounds DME
2 pounds Vienna
.5 pounds crystal.

Mash the crystal in a gallon of water at 155 for 60 minutes. Sparge by pouring 1 gallon of 170 degree water over the grains or dunking the grain bag in a separate pot containing the water. Add water to boil volume, and continue.

Back