Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this guy up according to the recipe, but I got excited and did it without the rice hulls. I started with the pumpkin in a large bag, but by the end of the mash, most of the pumpkin had run out of the bag (as expected). Was a very slow sparge, but I was able to get it all out. Beer turned out amazing with just the right spice level! 2 months since brew day and it just keeps getting better. I did finish low on this one-1.01, but I seem to be doing this a lot. I'll have to check my thermometer... Great brew regardless, thanks for the recipe!

Cpa4ny, I brewed a Saison with that strain recently. I love it, but it was very reminiscent of tropical fruit. My opinion is that it would be out of place in this beer. But, then again, that's the joy of homebrewing - you do whatever you want with your beer!

Thanks FolkMetal :mug:

However, having browsed the net fairly extensively, I couldn't find any notes from someone who has done a Brett pumpkin beer. The spirit of experimentation took over me, so I decided to go ahead with it. The starter is on the stirplate, so will be brewing this next weekend :tank:

However, having browsed the net fairly extensively, I couldn't find any notes from someone who has done a Brett pumpkin beer. The spirit of experimentation took over me, so I decided to go ahead with it. The starter is on the stirplate, so will be brewing this next weekend :tank:

Very interesting. Be sure to post results, please. :mug:

Going all brett? I still have my batch from last year that looks like it got a accidental wild brett infection. Tasting it, it was slightly funky but not offensive. Still havent done anything with it. I think it is done. Should bottle it up, but havent decided to go with regular bottles, invest in some belgian bottles or just keg it up and then seriously sanatize the heck out of my lines.

Why oh why did I just change out all of my lines?

@ Reno - will do :mug:

@ Jon - I am actually planning to ferment it with Brett Trois (WLP644) - a quick 2-3 week ferment, comparable to sacc. The beer may or may not be ready by Halloween, but it will sure be ready by Thanksgiving.

mines almost done been in fermenter for about 18 days gonna take a reading and hope to bottle this weekend.

I'm going to attempt to brew this in the next week or so and would like some clarifications as I'm still pretty new and the info seems to be scattered. I'll be the extract version.

First I need to baked 2 Large cans (29oz) Libby's pumpkin (no spices added) for 60 mins. Then steep it at boiling temp for 30 mins. Then mash at 163F for 30 mins, I will need to mash:

8.25# Pale LME
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.25# Special Roast
1# rice hull

Then boil for 60 mins and add the following ingredients at the specified time..

1.00 lb Brown Sugar (60 min)
1oz Hallertaur (4.8%) (60 min)
1.5 Tbs McCormicks Pumpkin Pie Spice (5 min)
1oz Hallertaur (4.8%) (5 min)

Finally pitch S-04 yeast.

As for how long in fermentation and bottling, Remo_envy suggested at least 1 -2 month but preferably 6month. I'm hoping to brew this and be able to enjoy it during thanksgiving. What are the results with only 1 month fermentation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm going to attempt to brew this in the next week or so and would like some clarifications as I'm still pretty new and the info seems to be scattered. I'll be the extract version.

First I need to baked 2 Large cans (29oz) Libby's pumpkin (no spices added) for 60 mins. Then steep it at boiling temp for 30 mins. Then mash at 163F for 30 mins, I will need to mash:

8.25# Pale LME
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.25# Special Roast
1# rice hull

Then boil for 60 mins and add the following ingredients at the specified time..

1.00 lb Brown Sugar (60 min)
1oz Hallertaur (4.8%) (60 min)
1.5 Tbs McCormicks Pumpkin Pie Spice (5 min)
1oz Hallertaur (4.8%) (5 min)

Finally pitch S-04 yeast.

As for how long in fermentation and bottling, Remo_envy suggested at least 1 -2 month but preferably 6month. I'm hoping to brew this and be able to enjoy it during thanksgiving. What are the results with only 1 month fermentation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I baked the pumpkin, mixed it with the water I was going to mash in with and added it to the MLT for the all grain version. You can just mix it with your steeping water if you want. Probably will want to pour your worth through a mesh bag of some sort into your fermenter though because there is a lot of material. Otherwise you could mix it in with your grains in your grain bag and mix really well before the steep.
The rice hulls are only necessary if you are doing a mash with the pumpkin. If you are going BIAB style or extract with steeping grains they should not be necessary.

You should be able to ferment for the standard 2 weeks or so then let it condition in keg or bottle for a month and be okay. the spices will fade some over time and it will probably need some time to condition. You should be okay at a month, though it will really shine with a little more age on it.

I baked the pumpkin, mixed it with the water I was going to mash in with and added it to the MLT for the all grain version. You can just mix it with your steeping water if you want. Probably will want to pour your worth through a mesh bag of some sort into your fermenter though because there is a lot of material. Otherwise you could mix it in with your grains in your grain bag and mix really well before the steep.
The rice hulls are only necessary if you are doing a mash with the pumpkin. If you are going BIAB style or extract with steeping grains they should not be necessary.

You should be able to ferment for the standard 2 weeks or so then let it condition in keg or bottle for a month and be okay. the spices will fade some over time and it will probably need some time to condition. You should be okay at a month, though it will really shine with a little more age on it.

Thanks for the advice! Can I steep my grain in one muslin bag and another for the pumpkin instead of mixing them together?

I havent brewed this yet but i plan to this weekend.

How does the pumpkin in the mash effect the PH?

I use acid malts to bring the PH down and ive been pretty good at hitting the desired PH but ive never added something like pumpkin so idk how it will effect the mash ph.

Thanks for the advice! Can I steep my grain in one muslin bag and another for the pumpkin instead of mixing them together?

Sure thing. You just need to make sure that the pumpkin in its bag gets mixed in the water really well so that you can get out all of that beautiful orangey color and what body it adds. Supposedly pumpkin does not add much flavor or along the lines of sugars but I still like to put it in pumpkin beers. It seems like cheating if you withhold it.

You will have extra protein/break/trub in the kettle and probably fermenter as well. Just be prepared.

I havent brewed this yet but i plan to this weekend.

How does the pumpkin in the mash effect the PH?

I use acid malts to bring the PH down and ive been pretty good at hitting the desired PH but ive never added something like pumpkin so idk how it will effect the mash ph.

I'm usually pretty adamant about doing salt or acid additions but for this brew I typically don't add anything. There are some brews where I just "let it happen"...

I'm usually pretty adamant about doing salt or acid additions but for this brew I typically don't add anything. There are some brews where I just "let it happen"...

What kind of water did you start with?

What was the PH when "you let it happen"? or did you not check it at all?

This Monday will be 4 weeks in primary, I may wait til this coming weekend to bottle as I would like to take some up to a birthday party, but that would only give me three weeks in the bottle. Should I go for it or wait longer in the primary and bottle condition for at least 3 weeks to be ready for Thanksgiving? I think I just answered my own question.

Well, i finally brewed it today. I missed the mash temp by a lot. i ended up at 151 and i have no idea how that happened. Strike water was 169 and grain temp was 69-70. i think it was the pumpkin i added that dropped the temp so low. i also checked the thermometer right after with boiling and iced water to see if it was off but it was spot on.

Mash PH ended up at 5.3 which is great since i always aim for 5.3 - 5.4 PH. I did add 3oz of acid malt though.

OG ended up at 1.064. only off by 1 point.

I'm using pacman yeast with this beer.

Cant wait til this one is done. All of it will disappear on Thanksgiving. :)

Popped my first bottle....yummmm!

image.jpg

Well, i finally brewed it today. I missed the mash temp by a lot. i ended up at 151 and i have no idea how that happened. Strike water was 169 and grain temp was 69-70. i think it was the pumpkin i added that dropped the temp so low. i also checked the thermometer right after with boiling and iced water to see if it was off but it was spot on.

Mash PH ended up at 5.3 which is great since i always aim for 5.3 - 5.4 PH. I did add 3oz of acid malt though.

OG ended up at 1.064. only off by 1 point.

I'm using pacman yeast with this beer.

Cant wait til this one is done. All of it will disappear on Thanksgiving.
:)

The two times I've brewed this I added the pumpkin to the mash last (it was room temp) and it brought my mash temps way down. I don't know if that helps you figure out your temp problem, but I though I would share my experience

Trying this now. Pumpkin just went into the minimasher; house smells goooooood. Was a little concerned that the mash liquor would fit in the igloo, but it was perfect.

Does it make sense to not cool the pumpkin completely before adding to the mash?

The two times I've brewed this I added the pumpkin to the mash last (it was room temp) and it brought my mash temps way down. I don't know if that helps you figure out your temp problem, but I though I would share my experience

Trying this now. Pumpkin just went into the minimasher; house smells goooooood. Was a little concerned that the mash liquor would fit in the igloo, but it was perfect.

Does it make sense to not cool the pumpkin completely before adding to the mash?

temperature of the pumpkin, will affect your mash temp. Pumpkin closer to your mash temp, the better.

This is very good advice. But personally what I do is not let the pumpkin cool down all that much. I add all of my strike water at 15-20*F higher than my dough-in temperature to preheat the mash tun cooler. So I just add the pumpkin at the same time and let physics do the rest.

I boiled some water and set the cans of pumpkin it there while I was heating up my strike water. It helped with mash temp and made it easier to get all the pumpkin out of the can!

Minimashed. Came in about 14.6 Plato OG, suspect I didn't have the strike water quite high enough or the pumpkin puree mixed in quite well enough. Looks, smells, and tasted pretty good on the way into the bucket though..

Wound up using 3.3 lbs of Munton's light and 2.7 lbs of Munton's Maris Otter, mostly because I grabbed the wrong can, and also dark brown sugar vice light brown. Be interesting to see how this works out.

Brewed this weekend - used a lovely Australian blue pumpkin.

Bought about 2 kg worth of pumpkin, after baking shrinkage, ended up with about 1.7 kg (covered the pumpkin slices in cinnamon, came out of the oven looking delicious).

Used half a pound of rice hull and that seemed enough - no issues with stuck sparge.

Used hochkurz mash with a 15-minute protein rest @ 52C and a 10-minute mash out.

The wort came out surprisingly clear @ 1.074 (used 1.5 lbs of nice brown sugar).

Oxygenated the wort for 90 seconds and pitched a 1.6L starter of Brett Trois (WLP 644).

Look forward to tasting it in 2 weeks' time :tank:

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

Brewed this weekend - used a lovely Australian blue pumpkin.

Bought about 2 kg worth of pumpkin, after baking shrinkage, ended up with about 1.7 kg (covered the pumpkin slices in cinnamon, came out of the oven looking delicious).

Used half a pound of rice hull and that seemed enough - no issues with stuck sparge.

Used hochkurz mash with a 15-minute protein rest @ 52C and a 10-minute mash out.

The wort came out surprisingly clear @ 1.074 (used 1.5 lbs of nice brown sugar).

Oxygenated the wort for 90 seconds and pitched a 1.6L starter of Brett Trois (WLP 644).

Look forward to tasting it in 2 weeks' time :tank:

what is going on in your last picture?

It's clear wort after the mash-out. I am using a Braumeister, so that's why it may look unfamiliar.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I went to replace the blow off with an airlock on my 2nd batch of this, and apparently fermentation was so vigorous this time it blew krausen out the sides of my bucket lid!!! Even with a blow off... Crazy!!! My buckets actually make a seal too! Guess my yeast were happy!:ban:

My wife (my biggest beer critic) has done blind tastings against pumpkin ales made by Weyerbacher, dogfish head, and Brooklyn brewing and this recipe wins every time.

I cracked open a bottle of this tonight (bottled last week so still a bit young, but I'm impatient :D) for a tasting.

It's definitely way better than the pumpkin kit from my LHBS that I did last year. I think next year when I make this I'll scale back the spices a touch and maybe even add more pumpkin (or go a bit longer in the roast) to bring out the pumpkin flavor a bit more. It's there, but the spices are more prevalent imho. Of course, it's still way too young to tell how it's going to be.

Thanks for the recipe!

So yesterday was 3 weeks in the primary. Checked the gravity and it ws. 1.012...so looks like my FG is a bit lower. I am gonna bottle it tomorrow or the next day should I bottle it with brown sugar or no??

My wife (my biggest beer critic) has done blind tastings against pumpkin ales made by Weyerbacher, dogfish head, and Brooklyn brewing and this recipe wins every time.
That is beyond awesome. Though I'm sure most of that can be attributed to your excellent brewing skills.
:mug:

I cracked open a bottle of this tonight (bottled last week so still a bit young, but I'm impatient :D) for a tasting.

It's definitely way better than the pumpkin kit from my LHBS that I did last year. I think next year when I make this I'll scale back the spices a touch and maybe even add more pumpkin (or go a bit longer in the roast) to bring out the pumpkin flavor a bit more. It's there, but the spices are more prevalent imho. Of course, it's still way too young to tell how it's going to be.

Thanks for the recipe!

I actually did this recipe in hopes of subduing the spices a bit. But trying to go less might be good as well.

As far as roasting goes.... for some reason it kind of hit a plateau and just "boiled" under the surface instead of roasting more. It was odd...

I already have to brew another batch of this due to my friends and I chugging down the last one! At least this time I can do it with fresh pie pumpkins since they are in stores now! :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back