Hops in Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
So thus far I've done 6 batches. All extract kits from morebeer, austin homebrew, and midwest. To this point all have been 3 gallon partial boils. I was able to score an 8 gallon pot on CL last weekend and am getting ready to do my first full boil. I understand that I need to initially boil 5.5 to 6 Gallons to account for evaporation. However, my confusion is how much hops to use. On all of the kits I buy, it seems as though the instructions are geared to people doing 2.5-3 gallon boils. I emailed both ahs and Midwest. The reply from AHS was to cut down on the amount of hops to use by as much as 1/4oz. The reply from Midwest said not to worry and follow the recipe outlined on the sheet. Because I got conflicting answers, I thought I'd present it to the pros here on HBT to see if you all could help me out. Thanks.

So thus far I've done 6 batches. All extract kits from morebeer, austin homebrew, and midwest. To this point all have been 3 gallon partial boils. I was able to score an 8 gallon pot on CL last weekend and am getting ready to do my first full boil. I understand that I need to initially boil 5.5 to 6 Gallons to account for evaporation. However, my confusion is how much hops to use. On all of the kits I buy, it seems as though the instructions are geared to people doing 2.5-3 gallon boils. I emailed both ahs and Midwest. The reply from AHS was to cut down on the amount of hops to use by as much as 1/4oz. The reply from Midwest said not to worry and follow the recipe outlined on the sheet. Because I got conflicting answers, I thought I'd present it to the pros here on HBT to see if you all could help me out. Thanks.

I use brewing software to help me figure the IBUs, but in general you can decrease the bittering hops by 25% or so. The other hops will stay the same.

Latest posts

Back