Larger Scale home Malting and Kilning Ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just about to reply, then noticed you deleted. If that was true, its probably the coolest idea I've seen on here in a while. The true American spirit FWIW.

Yea, it was true, but someone posted it without my permission, thinking I wanted to go public... haha. Anyway. The edited version:

Can anyone think of a better cheap way to kiln a thousand pounds of malted barley than buying a cement mixer, stripping the drum of paint, and setting up a burner under the drum. The rotation would ensure a semi even toast, and a cement mixer can handle a lot of grain.

I have a gas dryer that someone gave me. I was thinking of converting it to propane and covering the air vents wtih a SS mesh as a starting point. Haven't had time yet to play with it, but I was figuring on monitoring exhaust temps to control the process. I'm guessing there would be a lot of trial and error / data collection but unmalted barley is cheap enough, just takes a ton of time.

Back