Monster mill or barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased the Rebel Mill, but have not tried it yet. The plan is next weekend. Looks like a nice mill, and I have not seen any negative reviews (yet). They are having trouble keeping up with demand, and mentioned they are looking at bringing a new supplier online to meet demand. Mine only took a little over a week to arrive.
7882-p6030186.jpg

I'm hearing that you don't want a go faster than 200rpm, is this right?

Monster has it posted on their site... The way they spec out the speed it seems more like 150-200rpm.

RPM
What RPMs should I run my mill at?

The best speed to run all of the drill driven mills at is around 150-250 rpms. Does it have to be exactly 200 rpms? NO WAY. A range of 100-300 is fine, and if you are willing to have a little more flour, then you can run it a little faster. I generally tell folks to run it as slowly as your drill will run it without stalling plus a little more. It usually takes a little more torque to get the mill going than to keep it going, so you will have to give it some more power to start the mill, and then slow it down once you are milling. You should experiment with faster/slower speeds and see what it does to your grain.

Motorizing
How can I motorize my mill?

This is a very complicated answer. We recommend you use at least a 1/2 HP motor for our small 1.5" diameter roller mills, and 1 HP for our larger 2" diameter roller mills. Use a capacitor start motor if possible. They have much higher starting torque and should be able to start milling after the hopper is loaded. If you don't have a capacitor start motor, you may just have to have the mill running when you load the hopper. Get the RPMs down as much as possible. To do this you will need to use as slow a motor as you can get, and put a very small pulley on it, and put as large a pulley as possible on the mill. The biggest problem with this approach is that the pulleys end up being very large.

Most AC motors run at the slowest speed of 1725RPMs. This means that you need to reduce the speed by a minimum factor of 10. So you will need a mill pulley that is 10 times the diameter of the pulley on the motor to get down to 172.5 RPMs assuming your motor runs 1725 RPMs. When using pulleys to drive the mill it may be preferable to widen one flat on your mill's drive shaft using a metal file. The flats are designed for drill driving, and will work better with a pulley setscrew if they're wider. This is easily accompished using a metal file with the drive roller held firmly in your bench vice.

Pulleys to complete a motorization project are readily available from several sources including Grainger, and McMaster Carr. Look for a small pulley with a diameter of 1.5" or less, and a large pulley to mount on the mill of at least 10" with 12-14" being preferable. Worth noting is that usually the pulleys will have different pitch diameters depending upon the width of belt you use. If you use a narrower belt, it will ride lower down in the pulley groove, and effectively reduce the diameter of the pulley.

There was a very informative article written in BYO a while back, that has all the specific information you will need to complete your project. We worked directly with the author to provide accurate information. Gear reduction motors are also an option but they are usually out of the price range of most home brewers. If you can find one used for a good price, I have heard of several folks using them sucessfully, but you must make sure you have enough torque to drive the mill, or it will stall while grinding.

Also see: http://***********/component/resource/article/1171-motorize-your-grain-mill-projects

If you want to go the sheave route

Is there an easy way to measure your actual RPMs once you get everything hooked up? Just to confirm you are running at the speed you're trying to achieve.

Is there an easy way to measure your actual RPMs once you get everything hooked up? Just to confirm you are running at the speed you're trying to achieve.

For the sheave system? Yes, math.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice setup Kmcogar...and cheap! Which is music to my ears :)

How does the Crankandstein fair up against a monster mill? Anyone try both side by side?

How does the Crankandstein fair up against a monster mill? Anyone try both side by side?

My brew-buddy has a C&S mill... The rollers are shorter, and smaller diameter than mine. Their mill also comes without hopper or base, unless you add it (not sure if you can get those from C&S or not).

We did do a few brew-days where I used mine, and he used his. Suffice to say we just use mine now. :ban:

I'll take a pic when I brew again (should be in about 2 weeks). All that gear is at my buddy's place since my arseholio land lord won't let me brew at home.

There's an image on the Monster site: http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/images/prod_basehop_img7_lg.jpg

I like to mill into clear (or almost clear) buckets so that I can tell when I'll need to change to another one. Milling my larger brew's grist typically takes two buckets. I think they are about 6 gallon capacity each (max) with nice lids. They're not typical buckets you get from HD and such, since I got them from a restaurant supply store. They're also graduated so that I can use them for the mash/sparge water measure and transport.

Wreck99 said:

Monster Mill is an off shoot of C&S , the two owners were partners till some bad blood got between them. I ended up getting the MM 2.0 simply because I liked the look of the hopper more.

My brew-buddy has a C&S mill... The rollers are shorter, and smaller diameter than mine. Their mill also comes without hopper or base, unless you add it (not sure if you can get those from C&S or not).

We did do a few brew-days where I used mine, and he used his. Suffice to say we just use mine now. :ban:

SHUN THE NON BELIEVER! SHUNNNNNNN!

Jk, I think for a homebrew purpose, the mill doesn't matter.

SHUN THE NON BELIEVER! SHUNNNNNNN!

Jk, I think for a homebrew purpose, the mill doesn't matter.

I pity the fool... :D

For most people, even the [cheap as dirt] ugly mill is ok enough. I never go cheapest/low end. I don't always go top of the line, but some happy place in the middle. I had a BC but saw it's short comings pretty early on. So when I had a chance to sell it, I jumped all over that and picked up the MM2-2.0... I didn't just rush out for it though, I did some checking to make sure I was getting a solid mill that would meet/exceed my desires. To say that the MM2-2.0 does that would be an understatement.

Besides, the Monster is bigger than the Cranky-Stein mill. :D

You've sold me. I think I'm going with the MM2-2.0. :mug:

Gotta wait til I get paid though :(

I hear you on the pay part... I had a real short week this past week. Between the holiday on Monday, and taking Friday off, I'm down two days pay. I'm a contract employee so I only get paid for hours worked. Sucks big time since I also have no vacation days, sick days, personal days, don't get paid for holidays, etc. Hopefully that will change soon (in the process of interviewing for a few perm roles). Luckily, I have enough in the bank to not worry about things. Even though I am saving up towards getting a new place once one of these perm roles happens. :rockin: Can't wait to leave where I live now... Goodbye jackass LL... I feel sorry for the next poor soul you rent to... :eek:

Good luck with everything man!

Thanks... With any luck at all, I'll be brewing in a new place within two months. I'm hoping to get the job in NH, so that I can rent a freakin HOUSE for a few dollars more than I'm currently paying for a small one bedroom apartment (maybe 500 sq. feet here). There's another possible job up in Maine, that I'm pulling for, but the time frame on that one is a bit longer, so not sure if it will happen. Of course, there's a couple of jobs in MA that I'm in the running for. We shall see... It will be nice to have a place where I have the option of setting up a brew stand...

Pic of your mill first! :)

Just thinking about how I'm gonna set this thing up. I'll probably start using the drill and build from there. I like the idea of having it motorized and on its own cart.

I've used a coronal for a while and hated it.
I'm now on a barley crusher and I'm in heaven!

phoenixs4r said:
For the sheave system? Yes, math.

Math will get you close, but you need some sort of tachometer to nail it. As mentioned earlier by others, the nameplate size do the sheave doesn't account for how deep or shallow the belt will ride.

Pic of your mill first! :)

Just thinking about how I'm gonna set this thing up. I'll probably start using the drill and build from there. I like the idea of having it motorized and on its own cart.

I'm seriously thinking about rigging up something so that I can mill directly into the mash tun. Or have it mill someplace and use an auger system to move the grain into the mash tun. :ban: Of course, for only ~30# of grain in the mash tun (max pretty much) it's not so much an issue. When I scale up to the next level though, I'll probably want to do something like that.

I see these threads a lot and I have yet to see anyone complain about the grain mill they purchased. Either one, or the Crankandstein(which is pretty much the same as the Monster Mill) will do. The key is to spend as much as you can afford. Getting a good quality crush again and again is worth the extra money.

Golddiggie said:
I'll take a pic when I brew again (should be in about 2 weeks). All that gear is at my buddy's place since my arseholio land lord won't let me brew at home.

There's an image on the Monster site: http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/images/prod_basehop_img7_lg.jpg

I like to mill into clear (or almost clear) buckets so that I can tell when I'll need to change to another one. Milling my larger brew's grist typically takes two buckets. I think they are about 6 gallon capacity each (max) with nice lids. They're not typical buckets you get from HD and such, since I got them from a restaurant supply store. They're also graduated so that I can use them for the mash/sparge water measure and transport.

How does arseholio know you are brewing. If he entered my apt without notice I'd invoke the Castle Doctrine.

How does arseholio know you are brewing. If he entered my apt without notice I'd invoke the Castle Doctrine.

Schmegly lives on the first floor, and I'm on the second... It's a small place and if I wanted to use my burners (for all grain, which is the only way I fly now) I'd be brewing out in the driveway (most likely). This is one of the reasons why I'll be looking to rent either a house (not sure where I'll be in the next five years, so better to rent IMO) or the first floor (large apartment) where I'll be able to easily get my gear setup for a brew day. IF I'm lucky and get the job in NH, it will be easy to rent a house in that area for not much more than I pay for my closet sized apartment (500 sq. ft. is small when you're a brewer). I have a storage unit now (5x15) for 'extra stuff' that I don't need access to often enough. I've moved my 50L fermenter plus two 1/2 bbl kegs there (among other things). This will also help me to move, since it will all be on the ground floor and make loading into a trailer much easier.

Anyway, I should be brewing on the 16th, at which point I'll take some shots of my MM2-2.0 at different points. If I brew either of the two recipes on deck, I'll only be feeding it 15-16# of grain. I have an English Barley Wine in the list that will fill my mash tun (about 29-30# of grain) that will still be well within it's capacity (the mill hopper). Especially since it can take up to 39#... I'll probably brew that recipe for the first one in my new place. Especially with the long boil I have planned...

Schmegly lives on the first floor, and I'm on the second... It's a small place and if I wanted to use my burners (for all grain, which is the only way I fly now) I'd be brewing out in the driveway (most likely). This is one of the reasons why I'll be looking to rent either a house (not sure where I'll be in the next five years, so better to rent IMO) or the first floor (large apartment) where I'll be able to easily get my gear setup for a brew day. IF I'm lucky and get the job in NH, it will be easy to rent a house in that area for not much more than I pay for my closet sized apartment (500 sq. ft. is small when you're a brewer). I have a storage unit now (5x15) for 'extra stuff' that I don't need access to often enough. I've moved my 50L fermenter plus two 1/2 bbl kegs there (among other things). This will also help me to move, since it will all be on the ground floor and make loading into a trailer much easier.

Anyway, I should be brewing on the 16th, at which point I'll take some shots of my MM2-2.0 at different points. If I brew either of the two recipes on deck, I'll only be feeding it 15-16# of grain. I have an English Barley Wine in the list that will fill my mash tun (about 29-30# of grain) that will still be well within it's capacity (the mill hopper). Especially since it can take up to 39#... I'll probably brew that recipe for the first one in my new place. Especially with the long boil I have planned...

Thanks!

Finally got my MM2 in the mail today and put it together. Man this thing looks sweet! Can't wait to try it out. I did the SS upgrade, 1/2" shaft, hopper w/extension, and base. Probably do a brew this week. Haven't in the past couple of weeks due to the nasty heatwaves we've been getting here in PA. Today it was over 100F :O

Here is my 2 cents. Whatever mill you get, you will love because it gives you the complete control over your crush that you never had. I have a barley crusher with 7 lb hopper and I love it...though I am sure if I went with a MM I would love her too. At the end of the day, the great part is that you have a grain mill. They are both awesome, and it's just so damn satisfying to crush your own grain, brand doesn't matter IMHO. Happy grain crushing.

Back