CO2 and Beer Gas Suggestions in Mpls/St. Paul

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g1976b

Reaction score
I'm just getting into kegging, and was hoping someone in the Twin Cities area had some suggestions on where you go to fill co2 tanks and get the beer gas mix.

I've already called Airgas...so that's an option, but I assume someone out there has a great suggestion.

Thanks!

All Safe is pretty cheap. ~$50 for a filled 10# tank and $11 or $13 for a refill, I forgot exactly.

I see this is an old post, but thought I would update as I am building a keezer. I submitted a web request for info on their website and they quoted me the following prices for co2 tanks:

5 lb. aluminum tanks NEW and priced at $59.81 which includes a valve.

Reconditioned:
The 10lb. are $49.28 + MN tax
The 15lb. are $51.52 + MN tax
20 lb. are $71.68 + MN tax

I am getting a 15lb one and they charge an additional $14 for a fill on these. They also had cheap used corny kegs here too so I am going to pick up a couple.

Reviving this thread. I'm just getting into kegging and I'd like to figure out what the best options are. (around Minneapolis MN)

I'm a little concerned about using industrial vs food grade CO2. Looking forward to getting more suggestions concerning where to buy my tank, where to fill it, and if there is any credible sources regarding food grade vs. industrial CO2 and it's safety.

Reviving this thread. I'm just getting into kegging and I'd like to figure out what the best options are. (around Minneapolis MN)

I'm a little concerned about using industrial vs food grade CO2. Looking forward to getting more suggestions concerning where to buy my tank, where to fill it, and if there is any credible sources regarding food grade vs. industrial CO2 and it's safety.

I had previously read that it was all the same. But, here's a more recent Reddit thread claiming otherwise. I think it's best to just ask at the place you're getting your co2 from which grade they use if you're really worried.

All-safe, the company I mentioned years ago, has since moved out into the boonies (Wyoming, MN). Their site doesn't say which grade they use, but they advertise to home brewers so I would assume it's fine.

I currently use Minneapolis Oxygen for exchanges. I see they advertise food grade, not beverage grade. I'll probably ask about it next time I'm in there.

I get 5 lb cylinder swaps from Northern Brewer for about $16. I gave them my rusty, expired steel cylinder and they gave me a fresh aluminum cylinder. I don't think they fill there, just swap. Midwest homebrew probably does about the same.

I ended up ordering an empty CO2 tank for 55$ shipped from beverageelements.

I then exchanged that for 15$ for a full one.

Total cost = 70$

Cheaper than the 100$ NB charges for a new CO2 tank.

I ended up ordering an empty CO2 tank for 55$ shipped from beverageelements.

I then exchanged that for 15$ for a full one.

Total cost = 70$

Cheaper than the 100$ NB charges for a new CO2 tank.

Good call. I wouldn't buy a new cylinder from NB; I was just talking about the refills. $55 is a good price for a cylinder.

I go to Minneaplis Oxygen Company @ 3842 Washington Avenue N Minneapolis, MN 55412. They have a store in Shakopee also. I recommend buying a used tank somewhere for the exchange. I have gotten about a dozen tanks exchanged there and only once did they give me a steel one in return

I go to Minneaplis Oxygen Company @ 3842 Washington Avenue N Minneapolis, MN 55412. They have a store in Shakopee also. I recommend buying a used tank somewhere for the exchange. I have gotten about a dozen tanks exchanged there and only once did they give me a steel one in return

When I called them they said the washington ave store was closed.

When I called them they said the washington ave store was closed.

Are you sure you called Minneapolis oxygen? All-Safe used to have a store on Washington Ave. that is definitely closed, but I'm pretty sure MPLS oxygen is still there. Their website still lists it as a location as well.

For anyone interested, I found some receipts for Minneapolis Oxygen from last year.

10# exchange is $13.38
15# exchange is $15.11

Those prices do not include tax. I was also charged a 3.50 Hazmat fee. This fee was the same whether I exchanged 1 or 2 tanks.

Not the cheapest but Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies will swap tanks. It takes less time and you'll usually get a better tank than you came with. I think a 5# swap is $20 at NB and the same at Midwest. Midwest also does 10# but availability is spotty.

Miswest gets them filled at Minneapolis Oxygen anyway, I think the NB ones are Airgas. Yeah, it costs more. And yeah you could save $10 by going to Minneapolis Oxygen in Bloomington and getting a beater tank in return. Just make sure it fits in your keezer since they come in all different heights.

Not the cheapest but Northern Brewer and Midwest Supplies will swap tanks. It takes less time and you'll usually get a better tank than you came with. I think a 5# swap is $20 at NB and the same at Midwest. Midwest also does 10# but availability is spotty.

Miswest gets them filled at Minneapolis Oxygen anyway, I think the NB ones are Airgas. Yeah, it costs more. And yeah you could save $10 by going to Minneapolis Oxygen in Bloomington and getting a beater tank in return. Just make sure it fits in your keezer since they come in all different heights.

I live right near minneapolis oxygen. I didn't realize that was an option. I'll check it out when I need to swap my co2 tank. Thanks for the tip

Bumping this thread .....

I just exchanged two 20# tanks at Air Gas. $75.71 total with taxes and hazmat fees.

I might have to look into Mpls O2.

Prices may have changed in the last six years, but hopefully that'll be useful to some...that questions been asked a bit more lately. :p
Welcome to HBT!

Back