Ferm Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmarmot

Reaction score
On m second batch now. Used the Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II. Pitched the yeast 30 hours ago and see no activity in the airlock. Room temp is 65. Is this too cold? Do I need to raise the temp? I'm using a 6galplastic carboy. First batch I used the 5 gal glass carboy and made a yeast starter from the dry kit yeast and saw immediate and explosive fermentation. Any thoughts on the temperature?

Thank you. Confidence returned and this morning the baby was breathing. It's like being a dad to a newborn again.

Key is to relax and trust what you have done - yeast wants to make beer. It's much harder to mess up than one would think as long as your sanitation is good.

Cheers!

Key is to relax and trust what you have done - yeast wants to make beer. It's much harder to mess up than one would think as long as your sanitation is good.

Cheers!

very, very true. if you give yeast a clean, sugar rich environment, they'll do their thing just fine.

OP, glad to hear it kicked off well for ya. a few tips to cut down lag times and easy your worries next time (not to mention to make excellent beer); make a starter using this calculator or rehydrate when using dry, aerate your wort well, i use an aquarium pump and air stone for 10-30 mins (depending on the beer) and it works great, and pitch at fermentation temps, yeast don't like a lot of temp fluctuation in general. proper aeration and pitch rates have cut my lag times to hours (usually 3-5) when using liquid, perhaps a bit longer when i use dry. i also tend to get really good attenuation from the strains i use, usually right up at the listed high end. my last several brews, since i've been using the airstone, have fully attenuated within a week, and that included a 1.097 RIS. :mug:

Back