Gas Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRaPP

Reaction score
For a while now I've been brewing 5 gallon batches on my propane stovetop and I think it's time to move to a burner outside. I'm only 22 and can't afford a $100 burner, but am considering building one out of a free propane grill from Craigslist.

Is this a plausible idea? Has anyone here done this before? Any suggestions?

the burner bar in a grill is usually elongated and would not really work well for this application. search craigslist for a turkey fryer instead. they can usually be had for around $10-$20.

My Bayou Classic ( model SP10 ) was around $35 on Amazon ( you'll need to find a propane tank though ). Works great and my 10 gallon brew kettle fits on it perfectly.

Wow those are a lot cheaper than the one at my brew store. Thanks for all the responses.

Your local store will always be more expensive as they need to pay the overhead for their brick and motar location.

I bought my turkey fryer burners at a local store (grocery not brew) for $10 new! Problem is you need to buy just after turkey frying season when they are clearing them out. I bought mine in January a few years ago.

I got my SQ-14 at ACE Hardware for 50.00 and it's big enough to fit a keggle if you decide to go that route down the road.

I picked up a Bayou Classic 10 gal SS pot and SP-10 burner from Amazon for $139 (free shipping w/ Prime). The deals are out there.

Thanks for all the input! I'm going to be looking online for a good deal and/or looking on craigslist for turkey fryer. I may still try the grill burner if I can find a suitable grill just for the sake of building something, but I'll definitely look into those other items too.

Thanks for all the input! I'm going to be looking online for a good deal and/or looking on craigslist for turkey fryer. I may still try the grill burner if I can find a suitable grill just for the sake of building something, but I'll definitely look into those other items too.

I'd think that you would have a hard time doing full boil 5 gallon batches with a grill burner. I think you'd be far better off picking up a Bayou Classic SP10 or better yet SQ14 for under $50.

I'd think that you would have a hard time doing full boil 5 gallon batches with a grill burner. I think you'd be far better off picking up a Bayou Classic SP10 or better yet SQ14 for under $50.

I agree, most 2 burner gas grills are in the 25-30,000 BTU range (a quick google search) and that heat is spread out wider than a typical kettle. Turkey fryers range from 55-170,000 BTU and that heat in concentrated on the bottom of the pot.

That said, if you can try it without sinking a lot of money on it, give it a try. I just think you will be waiting a long time to get a boil.

Back