My 3 current beer. Help pls. * pix included *

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been brewing for about 3 years now in my dorm room. I normally have my station hidden under a blanket but I closed the door and took a pix for yas.

Now I have my setup so that there is zero smell indoors. It all gets vented outside through a nice tube ( you can see my setup in the pix )

now my main issue is that my blowoff tub is air tight and has 3 tubes going under the water to the bottom of the bin and one large one at the top on top of the water to let the air vent out the window and down a foot from my 3 story dorm apartment ( have a fine mesh at the end so no bugs climb in. )

It has been about 2 years till i swapped out the water in my blowoff bin and I need to swap out the sanatiser water instead without getting caught and kicked out. Any ideas on how i can do this? The water in there will defiantly smell up theplace as soon as I dump it and they will start looking around for the cause.. Should I keep it in there and not worry? or will there be a risk of mold and other crap starting to grow in there and clog up my tubes?

Help!!

beer-1.jpg

Easy man, just seal off the bucket walk out the door like nothing is going on and dump it outside. To seal off the bucket get another lid with no holes in it (like $1 at home depot), put a bunch of plastic wrap on the top of the bucket, seal it with the lid and carry it out. Of course do it during a low traffic time (early morning) and you should have no issues. Dump it in a bush or something and people will just think someone puked there or something....

On another note, I would seriously recommend changing your sanitizer and blow off significantly more often than every 2 years. I do mine every brew, its just not worth an infection or something weird to happen.

Sweet great advice bro thx. I will go ahead and do that as soon as these 3 finish in a week.
I was just thinking of getting another 2$ tub and drilling in new holes and such and have a new bucket. That way I could just seal and hurl this thing into a garbage dumpster and start with a fresh blowoff bin.

I get really worried when my carboys start to have a vacuum and I can see the sanatised Crap water seep up the tube towards my beer. Lucky for me my tubes are 10 feet so i can always catch them way before they get within 4 feet of dumping into my beer. :p

In any case thx. great idea. I will wrap up the bucket in garbage bags, pul the hoses out and seal it quickly with tape then chuck it.

Oh incase anyone was wondering. The far left is a Raspberry Lager. Mid is a Dark black I have been feeding every week for 2 months to get the alch up to 20% ( Special request from large friends that want to get drunk off 2 beer ) and the far right is my natural honey + brown sugar blend that everyone loves ;)

I just have to ask. Since you are worried about the smell of the fermentation... How in the world are you boiling all of that in the first place without raising any eyebrows?

I second the question of how are you boiling all that without anyone noticing the smell? The neighbors across the hall from me in my apartment building love to spray air freshener whenever I brew. I just wish there was something I could spray for their screaming kids...

Wrap your old can of sanitizer in gift wrap, put a bow on it, and leave it outside of someone's dorm room. There's no doubt that someone will steal the nice "present".

Your project demonstrates planning, organization, communication, with a minor in science and food service.

I think that extra credit is appropriate.

Keep us posted please.

I second the question of how are you boiling all that without anyone noticing the smell? The neighbors across the hall from me in my apartment building love to spray air freshener whenever I brew. I just wish there was something I could spray for their screaming kids...

I third that question.... even with all of the doors closed yesterday I could smell it outside.

Clandestine dorm room brewing.

That's awesome.

+1 that is one of the best things I've heard. fyi try using a defoamer in your boil, eliminates the need for blow off and doesn't affect the head of your finished product. Then no need to worry about two year old blowoff disease water.

Oh incase anyone was wondering. The far left is a Raspberry Lager. Mid is a Dark black I have been feeding every week for 2 months to get the alch up to 20% ( Special request from large friends that want to get drunk off 2 beer ) and the far right is my natural honey + brown sugar blend that everyone loves ;)

what yeast are you using in the second beer that isn't dying in the 20% alc???

Prob WLP099, I have fermented it up to 21%, they say it goes to 25%.

Oinyo, that is a really good idea to just pitch the old bucket and buy a new one as im sure its pretty nasty. Hammer down, let us know what happens.

If we never hear from you again we will just assume that the Dorm Mafia got to you first.

Back