Lager Blowoff Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a five gallon Dopplebock today that's got an OG of about 1.080 and I'll be lagering it at about 50 degrees for two weeks.

I've never done a "big lager" before and am curious if I'm going ot get really aggressive fermentation and should use a blow off tube or whether the reduced lagering temp will keep it under control and a regular air lock will work.

I guess I should use the blow off tube to be safe but I'll have to move a bunch of stuff around in my fermentation fridge.

Yes, do use a blowoff tube. Let fermentation go 10 to 14 days at 50F to 53F and then rack to a secondary for a diacetyl rest if necessary at 65 to 70F for 2 days (taste it for butter taste) and if it is good then slowly drop the temp to lagering temperature so not to shock the yeast. I lager at 36F but it goes faster at 53F. I lager big beers 2 months and lighter ones for 30 to 45 days. You know it's not enough aging when your beer is too sweet and not pleasing to the taste.

Thanks! and Damn!

Thanks for the info. That's a big help. And damn... I was hoping to take the lazy way out and pop an airlock on it.

Good to know though.

Thanks again

An airlock is OK after primary fermentation but if you use the proper quantity of yeast with this big beer it will most likely push yeast out the top in large amounts and pop the airlock onto the ceiling. Lagers require more yeast because they are working at lower temperatures.

I definitely tanked on the amount of yeast. I wasn't thinking at all and didn't bother with a starter. For a large percent of beers I typically make, a vial of White Labs will do the trick without a starter so.. .again.. I wasn't even thinking so all I have is one vial of 830 (German Lager Yeast).

The HBS is closed and I'm topping my carboy off right now to hit my OG target... so... I'm going ot just have to keep my fingers crossed that the yeasat makes it way though

I definitely tanked on the amount of yeast. I wasn't thinking at all and didn't bother with a starter. For a large percent of beers I typically make, a vial of White Labs will do the trick without a starter so.. .again.. I wasn't even thinking so all I have is one vial of 830 (German Lager Yeast).

The HBS is closed and I'm topping my carboy off right now to hit my OG target... so... I'm going ot just have to keep my fingers crossed that the yeasat makes it way though

Pitch it with the wort at 75F then because the yeast will have to propigate to have sufficient numbers to do the job. Ferment at 50 to 53F. The WLP 830 yeast is a great yeast too.

Back