American Barleywine feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horseballs

Reaction score
I've decided to take the opportunity to brew 3 gallon barleywine this weekend and have never made a recipe or made this style. I'm going with what I've got on hand. feedback is appreciated.

3 Gallon Barleywine

10.5 # pale ale malt
.5 # crystal 60
.25 # crystal 90
.25 # crystal 10
.25 # white wheat

mashed at 150 for an hour

120 minute boil

1.5 oz columbus 60 minutes

.75 oz fuggle 45 minutes

.75 oz cascade 30 minutes

.5 oz cascade 5 minutes

.5 oz fuggle 5 minutes

.5 oz columbus 5 minutes

dry hop with half oz of each for five days

I am thinking six week primary and bottle, am using a large starter of WLP 001

On my equipment I am calculating an OG of about 1.100, maybe enough sugars left over from the mash to make a mild ale.

I've been doing pretty much this exact same thing to play around with recipes for bigger beers. I've done a few imperial stouts and a few barleywines thus far as 1-2 gallon batches. I like to keep the volume smaller so I can mess around a bit with BIAB on my stovetop.

Anyways, that recipe looks good enough to me. To not steal a ton of carboy space I've been bottling early as you are planning vs. bulk aging. Do you (or has anyone else) heard of any downsides to this? The only thing I could think of is that the individual bottles might age a tad differently creating an inconsistent product vs. one that was stored in a carboy for six months and then bottled. Or that the hop flavor/aroma will fade over time as opposed to those that were dry hopped six months in, bottled and then drank at seven months.

Back