911 - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GryphonBrew

Reaction score
I just smacked my smack pack and it broke!!! I dumped it's contents into a sanitized Pyrex measuring cup and covered it with plastic wrap.

Am I doomed?

Any advice?!?

I would be surprised if anything goes wrong. You should be completely fine just keep it wrapped up until your ready to use it. I had a friend once cut open the smack when I told him to smack it... He misunderstood what I said. Any who, I duct taped it shut and proceeded as normal... :). Your fine.

I would be surprised if anything goes wrong. You should be completely fine just keep it wrapped up until your ready to use it. I had a friend once cut open the smack when I told him to smack it... He misunderstood what I said. Any who, I duct taped it shut and proceeded as normal... :). Your fine.

Awesome! Duct tape use #352!

mrduna01 said:

As in, you guys smacked it with only duct tape holding it closed? That could have ended the yeasts voyage so tragically hillarious :D

brewhaha2057 said:
As in, you guys smacked it with only duct tape holding it closed? That could have ended the yeasts voyage so tragically hillarious :D

Lol yep that is correct. Worked like a charm and the unsanatized duct tape caused no problems. I've found through many mistakes and mishaps that beer is more hardy than people like to believe and it takes quite a bit to get an infection or ruin a beer. Just my 2 cents

I would think that you would have no trouble fermenting. I would be more concerned about wild yeast development after bottling/kegging. I would just suggest that you drink this batch not letting it sit around for months after it is finished conditioning.

I would think that you would have no trouble fermenting. I would be more concerned about wild yeast development after bottling/kegging. I would just suggest that you drink this batch not letting it sit around for months after it is finished conditioning.

Fair enough! Have a few friends over & rip through the whole thing in one night just to be sure it doesn't go bad. Sounds like fun!

Update: Airlock is bubbling along 1/second.... As mentioned before, I need to give yeast more credit than I do... Ya know .... RDWHAHB

Awesome! i've tried to break them and couldn't.:rockin:

6'4", 245lbs, bass player (big hands) plus a bad day = broken pack. It just about sent me over the edge, and I nearly tossed my mash tun across the yard... Luckily I didn’t and now those little buggers that were left over (hardcore spec ops small team type yeast buggers) are doing what they do and all is rosy again.

I've found through many mistakes and mishaps that beer is more hardy than people like to believe and it takes quite a bit to get an infection or ruin a beer. Just my 2 cents

What is it they say: Malt and yeast WANT to become beer?

You can never completely sanitize the environment. Well, you could but it would be highly expensive and impractical. As long as your other habits are solid, a little gaffe here and there shouldn't amount to much.

Remember that some commercial breweries open ferment their beer. Straub in St. Marys PA is one of them. Wide open fermenters, I toured that brewery years ago and have video that I shot standing on a ladder and looking down into one of these vats.

Well I just pulled the first glass of this beer from the keg. It turned out fantastic! The yeast did everything they were supposed to do. I'll RDWHAHB next time.

Latest posts

Back