Ants-elwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Having joined the AW horde, I have a couple gallons fermenting. Checked it this morning and it's covered with ants! First time I've had a problem with them. Even the mead didn't get invaded. Guess I'll hose it off, move it to a new location and see if that does the trick.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some fresh juice for regular cider in 6-8 weeks. I've seen projections for the apple crop of 15-50% of normal.

You need to find where the ants are getting in, track down their nest and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Having joined the AW horde, I have a couple gallons fermenting. Checked it this morning and it's covered with ants! First time I've had a problem with them. Even the mead didn't get invaded. Guess I'll hose it off, move it to a new location and see if that does the trick.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some fresh juice for regular cider in 6-8 weeks. I've seen projections for the apple crop of 15-50% of normal.

Ants? How? Are you fermenting in open containers? And what do you mean you'll "hose it off"? Hose what off?

Ants? How? Are you fermenting in open containers? And what do you mean you'll "hose it off"? Hose what off?

The ants were all over the bucket. None of them got into the fermenter, but by hosing the outside off I remove (I hope) whatever attracted them, plus the pheromone trails they use.

ants go marching 2 by 2 the little one stops to drink a homebrew!

i had a pesky critter snooping around the cap on my carboy... i guess the rhinofarts really attract the crawlies. anywho.. i spritzed him with some of my disinfectant.. and cleaned up the area.. havent had a problem since..

Until you find the source of invasion, make a heavy barrier line of chalk around the bucket. Ants will not cross a chalk line. It gets into their respiratory tract and suffocates them. I use it all them time when I go camping to keep them away from the cooler and food stores. I use the chalk that carpenters use for chalk lines.

Until you find the source of invasion, make a heavy barrier line of chalk around the bucket. Ants will not cross a chalk line. It gets into their respiratory tract and suffocates them. I use it all them time when I go camping to keep them away from the cooler and food stores. I use the chalk that carpenters use for chalk lines.

Now this is some information I wish I had decades ago. Thanks.
It has been proven to me that the king of the jungle is really the ant's.

At my house we've been slowly battling the odorous house ants for the last 6 years. Little bastards usually invade looking for water. Worst part is - they STINK (described as rotten coconut). They also are darn near impossible to get rid of because they interbreed with other colonies (versus the turf wars of other ant species) and have multiple queens per colony. Baits, sprays, and foodsource elimination have proved futile at best. We'll think we've gotten rid of them and then get invaded full force (they move every 3-6 months - often looking for shelter w/in the structure).

I'll have to try the chalk line thing - may as well make the little F'kers cough.

The chalk line sounds almost like vodoo, but it does make sense. The bring back baits work wonders too. Kills the whole colony.

If you do it camping and other campers ask you what it's for, just say "evil spirits" and go about your business in a very serious manner. :D

Back