Can two bad beers = one good beer? YES!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeebc

Reaction score
I've had two failed recipes this year.

The first was an imperial stout that was brewed parti-gyle style with a low gravity stout. The low gravity beer was great. The imperial stout just wasn't right. I couldn't put my finger on the problem. The smell and aftertaste were just "off". It's been sitting in my basement for about 8 months while I pray that it improves.

The most recent failure was a pumpkin ale. I confused some measurements and over did the spices to the point where it is undrinkable.

I had the bright idea last night to mix these two failures together to see if the combination makes a drinkable beer. It worked great! The spices give the stout the smell and aftertaste that it was missing and the strength of the stout flavors subdue the spices.

I was close to dumping both batches down the drain. Lesson learned - don't give up.

:ban:

club soda is your friend too.

How true. I have a farm ale that tastes great, but is way too strong. Cut 50:50, it still tastes great, but my mouth doesn't go numb.

Back