Slimy Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This evening I racked my Hefe-Weisse into the secondary and was amazed at the stains that the Krausen left in my primary after 8 days of very active fermentation. I have seen lots of krausen in my time, but this was a first. Anyone ever seen "Slimy" Krausen? A little bit of the Krausen was slimy, like algae. Worries me a bit. We all know what Algae is accociated with. So, ever seen a little bit of your krausen look Slimy?:confused:

Maybe I should mention the Yeast I used...:cross:

I used the liquid Wyeast 3068 that I had in a starter for Approximately 40-48 hours.

I had a very similar experience with the 3068 yeast. It is a low flocculating gooey slimy yeast. I switched to 3056 for my weizens and it makes a very good dunkelweizen also.

I had a beer 4 months ago or so that ended up kraeusening twice. The first was 'normal'. The second one looked very gooey and slimy.

The beer was fine.

-walker

Back