Ordinary Bitter Buckeye Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Cooper\\'s Ale
Yeast Starter
rehydrated dry
Batch Size (Gallons)
6 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
27 +/-
Color
34.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
The plain extra light DME gives better bittering with good malt flavor & copper color
********Ingredients****************
1 can) Coopers English Bitter, international series
3lbs) Munton's plain extra light DME
2ozs) East Kent Golding hops, pellets
7g) Coopers ale yeast, rehydrated
I boiled 3.5-4 gallons of spring water in my 5 gallon kettle. Once water boils, stir in the 3lb bag of extra light DME. Be mindful of the kettle, as this one gave a wild hot break! Set timer for 20 minutes & add one ounce of the EKG hops. Do the same @ 15 minutes left in the boil. Add the Coopers can @ flame out, stirring vigorously to completely dissolve all the LME off the bottom of the kettle. Since pasteurization happens in seconds @ 160F, & the wort's still boiling hot, it'll work just fine. I then chilled the hot wort down to about 75F in an ice bath. Dry yeast was rehydrated in 70F spring water of 400ml volume in my flask. Pour yeast into flask & let sit on top of the warm water for 15 minutes. Then stir with sanitized skewer or the like. Let sit for another half hour or so. Do this while you're chilling the wort.
Strain wort into clean, sanitized primary fermenter, topping off with cold spring water that's been in the fridge a day or two before brew day to 23L, or about 6 US gallons. Take hydrometer sample, the stir up the rehydrated yeast & pitch when yeas rehydrate is within 10 degrees of current wort temp. Stick a sanitized airlock in the lid grommet. Since i sanitize the hydrometer tube & hydrometer, I pour the sample back in, then seal it up. Fill airlock with sanitizer, or, like I do, Starsan & high ABV clear liquor. I had minor temp problems the last time I brewed this in relation to the yeast. So your primary time should be shorter. Anyway, when it's at a stable FG & settled out clear, bottle it.
I carbed it this time to 2.1 Volumes of Co2, using 3.4 ounces dextrose dissolved in 2C of spring water that had been previously boiled a few minutes. Cover & allow to cool a bit while getting fermenter, etc ready. When beer racking into bottling bucket swirls up a couple inches, slowly pour priming solution into the swirling surface of the beer. Finish racking into bottling bucket & maybe stir gently a few times to ensure beer & priming solution are evenly mixed with a sanitized spoon or paddle.
6 gallons should give 62-65- 12oz bottles. About 52-12ozr's if you're going to make a gallon of vinegar out of part of it like I did.
Amber/copper color, with nice bittering shining through from the Coopers can. Just the right amount of malt flavor with that herbal/lemongrass quality of the EKG. Not only a good pipeline filler, but quite enjoyable as well. Also makes a great BBQ mop sauce. :mug:

Back