Racking canes and oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I was just reading an article on racking/bottling and realized something I've done on the 4 brews I've made thus far.

I was reading about purging air from the hose/racking cane before siphoning. I didn't know this and have always just placed the cane in my carboy with the other end in my primer and pumped until the beer flowed. Have I just been lucky not to end up with oxidized beer?

i rack with just a siphon tube and i remember once i was brewing a wheat and racking a pale ale from primary to secondary. now i had been so used to vigourouslly spashing the new wheat wort into a carboy to aerate it that when i when to transfer the pale ale i didnt think and just started splahing it in for about 30 seconds until i realised this was fermented beer and i wasnt supposed to splash it. still turned out great.

While oxidation is a real concern, the small amount you are talking about isn't. I don'tknow exactly how much oxygen it would take to do any damage, but the normal amount we introduce from the careful handling/transfering our beer throughout the breing/aging process is nowhere close.

Cheers!

Back