Opening vial of liquid yeast - explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used my first vial (as opposed to a smack-pack) of liquid yeast recently and have a question. I don't happen to have an extra vial near me at the moment, but I swear I read that you should shake the vial to get the yeast in suspension before pitching.

I did so, but when I tried to open it, it was like shaking a bottle of champagne. It just exploded and yeast went all over the place. The yeast had been sitting on my counter during the brewing process and was approximately room temp (65ish). Does this happen to everyone? What do I do to avoid losing yeast in the future?

Thanks!

Yes this can happen, shake it but then let it sit for a few minutes and then open slowly like a bottle of soda to let a small amount of air escape and you should be good :)

Yes. I shake , dunk vial in sanitizer, and open carefully over funnel into my starter flask.
Good practice is to make a starter.

Yes this can happen, shake it but then let it sit for a few minutes and then open slowly like a bottle of soda to let a small amount of air escape and you should be good :)

Hold it over the funnel... Blindingly obvious once you think of it! I'd put the funnel away already and was trying to angle the spray down the neck of the carboy. Silly!

pfgonzo said:
Hold it over the funnel... Blindingly obvious once you think of it! I'd put the funnel away already and was trying to angle the spray down the neck of the carboy. Silly!

Lol. Like that carnival game with the water pistol. Most of the water initially doesn't go where you aim it.

What I will do is shake them then crack it just a bit and close it. rise and repeat till you dont have an explosion. Sorry for your lose :(

There seems to be an explosion of explosions lately!

I usually pull it from the fridge and crack it open while cold. Then tighten and shake it up good.

Then I leave it out until it's up to pitching temp and slowly crack it open to make sure there will be no problems and then close it up and shake it again.

Then open and pour.

I usually pull it from the fridge and crack it open while cold. Then tighten and shake it up good.

Then I leave it out until it's up to pitching temp and slowly crack it open to make sure there will be no problems and then close it up and shake it again.

Then open and pour.
That's my technique also, ever since I had a vial blow yeast all over my kitchen.

I... It just exploded and yeast went all over the place. .....
Thanks!

The White Labs FAQ states:

Crack open the vial's lid just after removing
from the refrigerator.
(While still cold)

Snug it back up and periodically re-crack
it open several times while it's warming to
pitching temperature.

Then open and pour.

This has also become my practice after my first one exploded.

Yeesh. Thank god for this thread. Bought my first vial of liquid yeast and will be using it this week. Would have had a big mess on my hands if I hadn't read this.

Just made my first yeast starter and had this occur. Luckily still had about half a vial of yeast. Unfortunately I'm brewing my highest gravity beer thus far tomorrow, should I buy another vial to throw in along with the starter?

Latest posts

Back