How long for secondary in corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
This is the first time I have carbonated in a corny. My basement is about 70F. Can I put this in the fridge in 2-3 days?

Will adding more sugar for a secondary increase alcohal?

If your are conditioning in the keg I would give it at least 2 weeks at 70 degrees. Adding the sugar used to carbonate the keg will increase the alchohal a bit but I don't think it would increase it by a noticable amount.

If you want to add alcohol you need a way for CO2 to escape, you should have done that in primary anyway. Secondary is a clearing tank. By that time it should be done fermenting and time to get the yeast and proteins out of the beer.

How long depends on what you want to do. If you want to age it just leave it a 70. If you just want to clear it put it in the fridge. Clearing could take two weeks, if you add gelatin it will take only a few days.

You could add some sugar to help carbonate it. If it's in the fridge you will have to connect the gas line to carbonate.

If you want to add alcohol you need a way for CO2 to escape, you should have done that in primary anyway. Secondary is a clearing tank. By that time it should be done fermenting and time to get the yeast and proteins out of the beer.

How long depends on what you want to do. If you want to age it just leave it a 70. If you just want to clear it put it in the fridge. Clearing could take two weeks, if you add gelatin it will take only a few days.

You could add some sugar to help carbonate it. If it's in the fridge you will have to connect the gas line to carbonate.

Very true but he is talking about keg conditioning ( using sugar to prime keg ). Not sure why he called it secondary.

Latest posts

Back