An idiots guide to Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
Hi all-
So i recently brewed an ESB, added priming sugar to the bucket, let it sit for two weeks and then bottled. As you could guess, it came out flat. It was ok because it tastes like a traditinal english ale. Anyway- what does everyone consider best practice here?
My primary bucket doesn't have a spigot so whats the beat way to prime and bottle here?
How long do you let it prime for in the bucket? Stir in and bottle immediately?
Whats the best way to bottle from a bucket without a spigot?
How much is too much sugar? And do you recommend premade priming sugar cubes?

I want carbonation but i dont want it to be like a soda! Sorry for all of the questions- just want to make sure im doing it right! Thanks in advance!!

There are online calculators that can help you determine how much sugar to use according to desired co2 level. You want to prime the whole batch and then bottle immediately. Invest in a bottling bucket for best results.

Your priming sugar was consumed in the two weeks it sat there. Bottle as soon as it's mixed. It needs to be in a sealed container to carbonate.

Hi all-
So i recently brewed an ESB, added priming sugar to the bucket, let it sit for two weeks and then bottled. As you could guess, it came out flat. It was ok because it tastes like a traditinal english ale. Anyway- what does everyone consider best practice here?
My primary bucket doesn't have a spigot so whats the beat way to prime and bottle here?
How long do you let it prime for in the bucket? Stir in and bottle immediately?
Whats the best way to bottle from a bucket without a spigot?
How much is too much sugar? And do you recommend premade priming sugar cubes?

I want carbonation but i dont want it to be like a soda! Sorry for all of the questions- just want to make sure im doing it right! Thanks in advance!!

Don't let it prime in the bucket at all. It should immediately be bottled. If you let it "prime" in the bottle, the yeast eat the sugar, and then when you let it sit two weeks, there is no sugar left, and you're left with completely flat beer.

Bottle it when there is sugar in the beer. Then the yeast eat it and release carbon dioxide. If it is in a closed container (bottled and capped), the carbon dioxide that is released forms pressure in the bottle, which forces the carbon dioxide into solution.

You really should read before brewing, as even a very rudimentary understanding of how brewing and bottling work would avoid this.

It is best to dissolve your priming sugar in about two cups of water that has been boiled. Measuring the priming sugar by weight is more accurate than using volume measures. Add the priming solution to a bottling bucket and siphon the beer from your fermentor to the bottling bucket. A spring tip bottling wand attached the the bottling buckets spigot is a simple and accurate way to fill the bottles and get the same headspace in each bottle.

This is a link to one of the priming calculators. You can use the priming to style function, but you'll soon decide how much carbonation you actually prefer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Be sure your beer has reached Final Gravity before bottling. A fermentation that finishes in the bottle can give you exploding bottles.

Appreciate the help everyone- we definitely have read a lot. I was jusy curious because ive read so much about over carbonation, etc. and wanted to get some ideas from actual brewers. thanks for the articles and information. Cheers

Back