Is the bar open?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Hey is the bar open or is it too early? I'm watching my grandson until the wife gets home, having a homebrew and watching the BB game. Found out the hard way we're out of diapers :drunk: Had to call the old lady to tell her to pick some up. Anyone got a clothespin?

We are saved thanks be to SWMBO! I found some she had stashed away in the diaper bag :D I would rather drink Budwieser than handle one of these toxic bombs!!

2nd Street Brewery said:
We are saved thanks be to SWMBO! I found some she had stashed away in the diaper bag :D I would rather drink Budwieser than handle one of these toxic bombs!!

That's women for ya. Always doing illogical crap like putting diapers in a diaper bag.

Sat afternoon: I just bottled a batch of Hefe Weizen. Very tasty. :D

I have another batch to bottle and I'm wanting to brew a batch too, but the wife wants me to pull the toilet and sink and lay cement board and tile in her bathroom...decisions... :D

in that situation, just get good and drunk and then approach her and say (force slurred speach if it isn't happening naturally):

"Ok... M'ready to gid sum shtuff dun. Hic! You wan me ta star workin ina baffroom... or shhhhhood I jus brewa batcha ale? Hic!"

Drop a few things and wobble side to side a bit as you do this. She won't want you to try any home improvements at all at this point and you can go brew.

-walker

Sorry Walker, but you clearly haven't been married nearly long enough to know just how dangerous (and painful) that strategy could be. :(

El Pistolero said:
Sorry Walker, but you clearly haven't been married nearly long enough to know just how dangerous (and painful) that strategy could be. :(

Or.. have I simply been married long enough that I no longer give a ****?

-walker

Walker said:
Or.. have I simply been married long enough that I no longer give a ****?
No, if that was the case you would have already sent your wife here to deliver that tequila. ;)

Maybe I am being nice to you and sparing you the grief?

One day I walked into the living room, tipsy, and my wife screamed, "Drunk Again!"

I screamed back, "Me, too!"

-walker

Not to change the subject or anything, but personally I avoid posting too much here on days when I'm pissed off at SWMBO...just on the off change that she (or her PI) might happen to look in sometime. ;)

In all seriousness, I can't remember the last time I actually was pissed with SWMBO (or her with me.) Especially if it comes to getting things done around the house vs. brewing another batch. She tracks the brewing schedule and knows that as soon as the fermenters are all full and nothing needs racked or bottled, I have no brewing excuses to use. She loves the beer, too, and would probably prefer that I brew another batch today and mow the lawn tomorrow.

Plus, if I keep her happy, she doesn't mind me going to the LHBS ever single weekend to pick up some ingredients.

My biggest problem lately is that she wants to help create recipes. Not that she is suggesting bad things to make, but it usually means that I have to postpone a batch of what I want and brew a batch of what she wants instead.

For the record: I would never attempt to do what I posted earlier. My wife would simply be inclined to do the home improvements herself, and that would probably be a disaster.

-walker

Walker said:
My biggest problem lately is that she wants to help create recipes. Not that she is suggesting bad things to make, but it usually means that I have to postpone a batch of what I want and brew a batch of what she wants instead.
Given everything you've said in the previous paragraphs, you better brew that lady anything she wants or the rest of us are gonna come and kick your butt and steal your woman. ;)

Go ahead and try it. She'd probably whoop your ass. She's only 110 lbs, but I wouldn't rather take on a grumpy grizzly.

-walker

Hell hath no fury... :mad:

Hey Walker, you are a lucky man having a wife who encourages you to brew. I think my luck has changed in this regard recently, SWMBO announced she really liked the ale I brewed. How do I play this one to get her to order me to brew...any tips? :D

P.S. I've only been married 2 years, so very wet behind the lug'oles!

BlightyBrewer said:
Hey Walker, you are a lucky man having a wife who encourages you to brew. I think my luck has changed in this regard recently, SWMBO announced she really liked the ale I brewed. How do I play this one to get her to order me to brew...any tips?

Ask her what she likes about the beer. Tell her that you could give it more of that quality if you did This to it or That to it. Make a few suggestions about adding things to the beer and get her feedback on if she thinks that would be good. Push her to make suggestions for changes to a recipe.

Basically... once she considers a recipe to be based largely on HER input, she will be as excited to taste the final product as you are. I never put together a new recipe until after talking with SWMBO for at least 30 minutes about it.

She's actually starting to impress me. She knows beer better than the average SWMBO, but is by no means a scholar of beer or knowledgable about different beer styles. (She's never read any of my books.) However... last night when discussing what to brew next, she suggested (ALL ON HER OWN) adding corriander and orange or lemon zest to a brew. I didn't mention that this is a very Belgian thing to do, but now she wants me to brew a light color/body beer with those things in it.

Tonight we are going to decide on the hops for that beer and I'll be encouraged to cook it up in the next few weeks.

EDIT: she also wants to try adding sweet basil from her herb garden to a brew, and I'm trying to decide it this is worth a shot or not. I think I might add some to a pale ale, but only do it in the bottles for a six pack or two. If it's good, we'll do a whole batch that way.

SECOND EDIT: while finishing typing up that bit about the basil, my phone here at work started ringing. It was her. "Hey... how's your day? Do you want me to start cleaning bottles so that you can bottle that porter tonight and still be able to come to bed before it gets too late?" Should be a good night at my house!

-walker

Well, I've been married a long time... I know that if I don't get around to some projects my wife will get a contractor. Last weekend I had to change out the coil springs for my shocks. Easy job.

I started on the bathroom yesterday...I pulled the toilet and got all the necessary items to lay the cement board for the tile floor, a new knob for the water cut-off, a flexible hose for the tank, etc.

Anyway, I've been on computers since 1986, but I don't know what "SWMBO" means... :confused: ... I know someone will tell me. :D

She Who Must Be Obeyed. (I learned that one right here a few weeks ago.)

Also... changing the strut coils might be easy, but DAMN I would be afraid of taking my head right off if the spring compressor came unleashed. That's one thing I definately have done at the shop!

-walker

It would scare me half to death if I'd ever see a spring compressor come undone (assuming I was, you know, still alive at that point). Thankfully haven't seen that happen yet, and hope it stays that way.

LupusUmbrus said:
It would scare me half to death if I'd ever see a spring compressor come undone (assuming I was, you know, still alive at that point). Thankfully haven't seen that happen yet, and hope it stays that way.
It would scare me half to death if I even knew what a spring compressor was! :eek:

I'm sure you can guess, based on the name of the device.

The springs around strut cores are obviously compressible, but they have to be able to hold up the weight of your car, so no mere ton of weight is enough to really compress them very far. They are fastened directly to the cores.

When you need to put new cores on the struts (or get new springs onto the cores) the springs must be compressed for removal/installation. Since they can hold up your car without compressing too much, it takes a LOT of force to compress them down for removal.

The compressor, in essence, is just a large clamp that you crank down to compress those big-ass springs. thousands and thousands of pounds of pressure.... lots of pent-up potential energy.

If the clamp comes loose, you have a 30 pound coils of metal that will unleash those thousands of pounds of pressure instantly.

!BOING!​

If you happen to be in the path of said spring, you can kiss your butt goodbye. Oh... and being that they are springs, they can bounce a couple times before coming to rest, so be on your toes.

-walker

sudsmonkey said:
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds dangerous ! :eek:

I don't know how realistic the scenario is, but it's frigtening enough for me to always have this done by a mechanic that I am not good friends with... just in case.

If beer had even the slightest chance of exploding and kill ing me, I wouldn't homebrew either.

-walker

In other words, if you don't know what a 'spring compressor' is then you really do want to leave that job to a pro, who will at least get workmen's comp if he screws it up. :)

These days I take my car in for almost everything. I've got enough work to do that the time I'd spend on our 2 cars and a truck would eat up leisure time.

Walker said:
I'm sure you can guess, based on the name of the device.

The springs around strut cores ...

yada, yada, yada

... before coming to rest, so be on your toes.
Thanks, that a big help. :) I'm usually not very careful when dicking around with spring compressors. :(

Back