So my next bottling Session will go like this...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to rinse the bottles after taking them out of the Bleach solution. Then going to run them through the washing maching to make sure that they have no bleach on them. Then, going to cover each one with tin foil and bake them all at 350 for an hour. After that, right before I botlle, I am going to run each bottle through a Star Sans bath for about a minute. That should alleviate the possiblity of the contamination being from the bottles. ;) This last batch is also contaminated, but not all of the bottles have the tell tale ring. So now it has me thinking that it is the bottles. But the 10 year old clear tube that had yellowing that was thrown away 2 weekends ago could also be the culprit. Won't know for sure until I bottle the Abbey Ale that just went into the seconday this evening as that is the only batch that did not come into contact with the questionable tube. I have had it with this contamination thing as I have been brewing for a damned long time, and I have never had any issues. But, out of my last 4 batches, 3 of them have some sort of bacterial infection in them. :mad:

I will beat it though!!! Once I get my bacteria issues out of the way, on to an AG System BAYBBYYY!!!:mug: :ban:

make sure the caps sit in star san for awhile as well

sounds like nothing will survive your regime good luck:mug:

Didn't even think of that. Usually I boil them for 5 minutes. This time though, I'll boil them, then put them into the Star San solution for a bit.

RLinNH said:
Didn't even think of that. Usually I boil them for 5 minutes. This time though, I'll boil them, then put them into the Star San solution for a bit.

Sounds like overkill to me.

Star-san will kill everything that is living in those caps, and then some.

Boiling them IMHO might mess up the plastic coating on the inside of the caps.

wow. i rinse bottles after use with hot water. before bottling they all go into a bucket of iodophor. then i fill... the caps go into the bucket for a few minutes then atop the bottles.

if i forget a bottle here or there after i drink them, they get rinsed and put in a bleach soak, rinse and store for bottling.

i've noticed the caps will start to rust if they get boiled too long, or sit in the cleaning solution too long.

RLinNH said:
Going to rinse the bottles after taking them out of the Bleach solution. Then going to run them through the washing maching to make sure that they have no bleach on them. Then, going to cover each one with tin foil and bake them all at 350 for an hour. After that, right before I botlle, I am going to run each bottle through a Star Sans bath for about a minute.

Or you could buy one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

A little pricey, but GUARANTEED to do the job. Bacteria be GONE!! :D

Lou said:
i know that's a joke... but you can't autoclave bottles... they can't handle the pressure.

????

the bottles will not be capped, so pressure inside == pressure outside.

Is this a problem? I mean.. if it were, it sounds to me like you could not put ANY glass (even a flat sheet of it) into an autoclave.

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
????

the bottles will not be capped, so pressure inside == pressure outside.

Is this a problem? I mean.. if it were, it sounds to me like you could not put ANY glass (even a flat sheet of it) into an autoclave.

-walker
you can't...

Lou said:
to be clearer, borosilicate (pyrex) is ok... regular glass is not.

ahh.. so it's the crystal lattice of glass itself that can't handle the pressure?

interesting and good to know (not that I'll ever have an autoclave, but...)

:)

-walker

Back