12 days and still going...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I brewed a Beet IPA back on September 4th, 12 days ago and it's still fermenting. Not like others I have brewed, this one has and still has a nice layer of Krauten on the top but not a lot of activity in the air lock. The activity has decreased but still there.
I don't have a thermal way of controlling fermentation temps so I have the carboy in a cold water bath at 68 degrees.

It was a 5 gallon batch and the SF reading was 1.070 at the start. I have not yet taken a reading since there is still activity and a crust.
How long have you experienced fermentation and is there any concern other than drying the beer out too much?

Thanks,

Remember that CO2 will come out of solution for some time after actual ferementation has ceased, this will cause the krasuen to persist while the yeasties have stopped work and gone to sleep. Taking an SG reading the only way to know that it has finished. That said it is going to need to condition for a while anyway. Also having a long slow fermentation is probably better than a hot and heavy quicky. I find it harder to control temps on my really active fermentations.

Clem

I had planned on taking this to a party on October 1st... Not sure it will even be done fermenting by then. Ha-Ha... Thanks for the information it is appreciated.

Foam and bubbling are no indication of whether or not fermentation is complete. The only reliable way to tell is with your hydrometer. The persistent foam could be caused by Co2 coming out of solution. Check the gravity for 3-4 days, if it's still going down, it's still fermenting. If not, it's done. If it's way lower than what you are looking for it could have an infection.

Sounds like a plan, I will check gravity tonight and again in a day or two to see if it continues to drop. I have no idea where this will finish out at so it's a good idea to just keep checking to be sure it's complete.

Latest posts

Back