When do you add malto dextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasfgeary

Reaction score
I am making a stout and I have read a lot about using malto-dextrin to improve the mouthfeel. When should I add this? I read in one place to add it during bottling, is that correct? I realize it is unfermentable, but I figured I would want it included during fermentation.:mug:

homebrewer_99 said:
It can be added at any time.

I prefer to add mine at bottling/kegging because it's at that time that you decide if it's really needed or not. ;)

How do you dissolve it for adding at bottling?

Dissolve it with your priming sugar, if you want to add it at bottling. You may want a little more water, or may not. It dissolves fairly easily.

If you want to add it to your boil, you can do so at any time.

TL

I don't use it often, but when I do, I add it in the last 15 minutes of the boil somewhere.

Cooper's Brew Enhancer 2 comes with Malto-Dextrin as well. They say add it in for the boil.

My last batch I used lactose for the same reasons. I just added it at the same time as the extract just because it was convenient. I think next time I'll boil it with the priming sugar because that will give me a chance to taste it before and after and learn how exactly it changes it.

Back