Ale Pail as Sparge Vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
So I just did my first stove-top all grain the other day. Much to my chagrin, the sparge pot was not large enough to hold the sparge volume I was shooting for, plus grain. I still arrived at passable efficiency (60%), but I think that by bumping up the sparge volume to an acceptable level, I can increase my performance.

So I was thinking, would it be reasonable to heat up my sparge water, dump it into an Ale Pail, and use that as my sparge vessel? I guess first and foremost, would the pail be able to withstand the 170ish temps of the sparge water without any detrimental effects? If so, would the plastic of the bucket be enough in terms of insulation for the 10ish minutes of the sparge?

I suppose you're talking about a "lauter tun", the vessel where wort is separated from grain and where the sparge also happens. What are you using for your separation medium, a grain bag?

I would highly recommend getting a cooler and doing the stainless braid conversion. It will make life much easier.

I use an Ale Pale. It can withstand 170* + no problems. I compensate for the temp drop by starting with 180* water.

Awesome. I guess this is how I'll roll next time around.

Regarding the cooler conversion: I can maybe see that on my horizon at some point, but over the past month I've dumped so much cash into this hobby that I'm really starting to look at every dollar I sink into it. The grain bag + bucket will have to do for the time being. :eek:

It dosent have to cost an arm & a leg. I bet my "conversion" cost 15 bucks, tops. All I bought was a satinless steel braided hose, 12 inches or so, a gas petcock shutoff, and a short nipple to connect the two, ogh yeah, almost forgot the 75 cent hose clamp to hold the braid onto the nipple.

It dosent have to cost an arm & a leg. I bet my "conversion" cost 15 bucks, tops. All I bought was a satinless steel braided hose, 12 inches or so, a gas petcock shutoff, and a short nipple to connect the two, ogh yeah, almost forgot the 75 cent hose clamp to hold the braid onto the nipple.

What about the cooler? I think that's the most expensive part.

I had the cooler in stock from an unfortunate boating accident, involving drunkeness & explostions.

Cooler would be the most expensive part, but I figured all males had an acceptable beer cooler.

Watch Craigslist for a cooler. I got mine for free. Admittedly, it's a 3 gallon, but it turns out that's a great size for me to have. I can do 3 gallon batches, which is a good size for stovetop and a turkey fryer pot, allowing me to do full boils. I don't use a manifold at all, just 5 gallon paint strainer bags.

Latest posts

Back