Jimmy's 15 Gallon eBIAB Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimyson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I sold most of my jimmy-rigged 3v propane w/ RIMS setup to gather funds for this build. I'm going from 10 gallon to 5 gallon batches too so I can have more flexibility to do varying batches without tying up too many fermenters/kegs.

I also moved into a new home where the previous owners built an addition for a 1st floor laundry room which freed up the basement laundry area!

More to come.

Brew Space

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439234486.697651.jpg

15 gallon kettle with tangential input from Brewers Hardware.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439234523.334633.jpg

Added a 1.5" TC for the element

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439234582.308453.jpg

She's so shiny

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439234604.076589.jpg

Added some valves and such.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439234628.799067.jpg

Next to add is the pump below with a 3-way valve. One will go to the tangential input for whirlpool and the other to my trub filter/ oxygenation setup.

Parts to build my 30A/220V panel also on the way.

See you soon!

Got a bit more done. Mocking most of the connections and pump up. I upgraded the pump head to the stainless steel center inlet.

I've added the trub filter direct off the kettle pre-pump. I'm hoping I still get enough flow to keep the pump primed. Anyone with experience on that?

On the output of the pump, I have my 3-way valve that hits both the whirlpool port on the kettle and the other side will go to my oxygenation setup not pictured.

Next stop is to install my spa panel, and build the control box.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440636677.311011.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440636704.843026.jpg

I would be concerned about putting a filter that can clog before the pump inlet, as it could starve the pump. Personally, I don't see the utility of that filter anyway, as trub in the fermentor is no big deal and settles out with time, and can be accelerated with cold crash, gelatin, etc.

@jeffmeh, I think there should be enough surface area. Still need to run a trial though. I initially had it post pump but after some discussions, since I don't use bags during the boil, I though it would be beneficial pre. I personally like to keep all the crap out of the fermenter. I also don't use gelatin not do I want to. Again, just personal preference.

@andrhamm, 1". Pretty sweet, yeah? http://www.brewershardware.com/1-Tri-Clover-Tri-Clamp-Style-Pickup-Tube.html

Thanks @huntb

@jeffmeh, I think there should be enough surface area. Still need to run a trial though. I initially had it post pump but after some discussions, since I don't use bags during the boil, I though it would be beneficial pre. I personally like to keep all the crap out of the fermenter. I also don't use gelatin not do I want to. Again, just personal preference.

@andrhamm, 1". Pretty sweet, yeah? http://www.brewershardware.com/1-Tri-Clover-Tri-Clamp-Style-Pickup-Tube.html

Thanks @huntb

Agreed, personal preference. Best of luck with it.

Just ordered that dip tube, along with the trub filter and a TC elbow. Now I can finally have 3/4"+ flow from my dip tube all the way to my Chugger's 3/4" center inlet! My 1/2" dip tube was a bottleneck so the tubing was full of air and probably causing HSA. Solved! Now let's hope it fits my 10 gallon Bru-Gear pot!

Not a whole lot done this week except for my spa panel which has a 30 amp breaker from one of my panels to this 50 amp GFCI panel. Off of it I have my L14-30 connector.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441419585.257652.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441419601.222504.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441419616.808129.jpg

I also got my outlets holes cut out of the enclosure. Here they are dry fit. Now it's time to clean all of the holes. It's power in, element out, pump out, and temp probe.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441419675.999483.jpg

oh my....that table.... i've been looking for months for that exact thing.... tell me more.

wicked rig BTW hope its everything you want it to be

Thanks for the comments and compliments. I do believe it will be everything that I had hoped for.

The table is TRINITY EcoStorage NSF Stainless Steel Table, 24-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BB3O8OY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ke26vbV9W380Z

You could also look for a restaurant auction place. They sell loads of tables depending on the size you want and how quickly you want it. I'm very happy with this one though.

So I received my trub filter and set it up just like yours (which is just like he shows it on his test page) and it clogged INSTANTLY on a batch that only had 3oz of pellet hops in it. Going to keep experimenting with it but so far it was a huge disappointment and I may be returning it. The way this clogged up I can hardly believe you could ever filter a whole pound like he claims worked fine in his test. The dip tube is awesome though lol

Have you used your trub filter yet? Keep us updated on your experiences!

Also, I have two of the larger Trinity SS tables from Amazon and they are great economy-level tables!

I've added the trub filter direct off the kettle pre-pump. I'm hoping I still get enough flow to keep the pump primed. Anyone with experience on that?

Not per say Jimmy with this trub filter, but with a hop stopper I used to use. A hop stopper does its thing at the end of a boil when you open the valve and drain the hot wort through it (a single pass). The hot wort is now free to pass through a plate chiller with no clogging. That's how I used mine.

Brewers Hardware's trub strainer filter test was for a single pass.

I see this working out for you in your eBiab. At boil, using a PID, you go into manual mode and there's no need to recirculate. After boil, open up the valve and drain the hot wort out.

MS

@andrhamm, it may be a silly question but did you install it correctly? The inlet is actually the outer casing whereas the outlet is the inner mesh.

I have used it with success. That was post pump though. I feel as though it should still work pre-pump as there should always be enough surface area for liquid to fall. Maybe I'm wrong but as a backup will put back to my original post pump.

@1MadScientist, so the recirculation will only really be used to help bring my temps down With my immersion chiller and to get additional efficiency out of post boil hop additions. I do a lot of those. I am hoping that the hops will also collect in the filter so that it kind of acts as a hop rocket of sorts. Could be reaching for the stars but what the heck, why not wish.

I'm just guessing here Jimmy, since you chill in the kettle, that the cold break may clog your filter, if so, can you adjust your pickup tube to leave an amount behind?

Tough to get a good shot with the lighting but I put a couple coats of paint on my enclosure today. I'll be putting a couple coats of laquer tomorrow. I think I may also get some decals. Maybe a black outline of a hop plant going up the left side of the face and the words "The Green Hopster" at the bottom right.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442539437.932776.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442539450.031094.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442539459.101158.jpg

Got things pretty much wired up and the only thing left is to solder the temp probe cables to the XLR connectors.

Also need to add some hose clamps, get some tape on the pump head fittings, and run this thing through with some PBW for a cleaning and test run.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting a well needed brew day this weekend.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443017830.008969.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443017861.379383.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443017872.813776.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443017882.781843.jpg

I currently have a 1.5" sheave for my motor. I also have a 12" sheave for my mill. Only thing I need now is the 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for the mill to sheave. This will get me at about 215 RPM if I remember correctly.

I will check that thread though. Thanks for the link! And that's one hell of a mill station you have there.

I have 2 extra adapters (buy in packs of 3) if I can find them I can mail you one. Or I have those linked in my build also.

Build is looking great! I'm looking to downsize my setup, still using my kal clone panel for e-biab.

What are your plans for holding temp with the bag in use? If this is even a concern.

I'm considering the 400micron baskets with tall enough feet for element underneath. I like to step mash (had best results this way, and it's fun) even though it's not necessary.

Initially, my plan is to put the over on and wrap it in a cover made out of reflectix insulation. I'll see then how well it holds temp. If that doesn't work well enough, I will look to add the basket in the same manner as you are planning and likely put some type of recirculating component on the lid. I have a feeling though that the reflectix cover will be just fine.

Will do. Thanks.
Looked in my bit bin last night and was unsuccessful. Still cleaning up my garage from a week long furious motorcycle rebuild so I am sure I will locate them. Not a huge expense saver, but I won't need them so might as well share

Back