Doh.....can't find bottle capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobyhale

Reaction score
OK, so all of my bottles and equipment is in a soak of Iodophor, and it seems that I have lost my bottle capper in the move to Utah. What's my best option? Let them sit in there until tomorrow? Take everything out, seal it in a sanitized Tote? Resanitize tomorrow....which I really don't want to do. Someone please help!?!?!

I don't use iodophor but I imagine leaving the bottles in there wouldn't hurt them. I'd probably take out any plastic equipment though, it will most likely discolour.

I'm not sure how long iodophor remains viable so hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

They have to dry sometime.

Get em out tonight...rinse em and set them upside down in their cartons. That's what I do.

I always place a fresh paper towel on the bottom of the milk crate, or beer carton, or whatever I'm using to store bottles.

Just a question: Why do you think you need to leave the bottles in a sanitzing solution right up until bottling time?

I was under the impression that iodophor was better not rinsed or dried? From what I've read...or my understanding of what I've read....is that it is best to take bottles straight from this sanitizer and bottle. Not so??

jacobyhale said:
I was under the impression that iodophor was better not rinsed or dried? From what I've read...or my understanding of what I've read....is that it is best to take bottles straight from this sanitizer and bottle. Not so??
A dry sanitized bottle is just that. No matter how it got sanitized (bleach water, iodophor, starsan...)

Like I said, I sanitize my bottles in bulk ahead of time and store them so they're ready to use. If you let those bottles drip dry upside down...store them upside down...they'll be fine to use later tdoay, tomorrow or two weeks from now.

Assuming their kept in a relatively dust (and bug) free environment,

or if you have a bottle tree, sanitize the posts on it and then put the bottles on to dry.

at bottling point, the biggest contaminents are gonna be wild spores from yeasts and molds. they really need to fall down into a bottle or the beer, so as long as they're upside down you're almost elminating an opportunity for that kind of infection.

Back