Yeast Starter - Off to a good start? Rookie Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter last night. Followed Jamil's Yeast Pitching Rate Calculator and formula for how much DME to water to use. The beer I am brewing will have an estimated OG of 1.062, so I used 1.32 liters and about 130 grams of DME. No yeast nutrient.

I don't have a flask, so I boiled for 15 minutes and put into a 1/2 gallon growler. Problem is, I can't see what the heck is going on in there. I have been shaking/swirling the starter every so often (at least when I am home).

Is this dang thing working? Should I just be RDWHAHB and let it sit??

All you veterans out there, thanks in advance for your responses.

do you have the top clamped down on the growler or do you have a airlock on it? im new as well, but i dont see any issues with taking the lid of and see whats going on. At this point, theres a possibility that it has already fermented out and the krausen would have settled, but might as well take a look.

possibly dumb question, but you didnt mention that you put the yeast in the cooled wort. Im assuming youve done this, but just want to make sure.

I cooled the wort to approx. 70 degrees F and then transfered to the growler. It is covered with foil. I took a peek, but not much action. I have heard that not a lot of action is common. I'm probobly just trippin' on it.

Back