After 9 days.........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashover600

Reaction score
I got lazy and decided to do a basic beer

12 lbs Amber ME
2 oz Cascade Hops
Super High Gravity Yeast WLP 099 (I thought I was gonna get a higher OG)

My OG was 1.055. I did everything like I always have done. It's been fermenting at about 64-68 *F. Everything was sanitized......blah blah blah.

Funny thing is that I tested the gravity today, 9 days after I pitched the yeast. The SG was 1.048. Am I wrong thinking the SG should be lower? Any help would be great.....thanks!

12# ME and you only got that low of a starting gravity? I would make sure the hydrometer is accurate first. For 12#, you should have gotten higher than that. If that's not it, how active was the yeast in the starter? How old is the yeast? If you are confident in the yeast, you can rouse the yeast in the carboy by gently rolling the carboy to get the yeast in suspension again.

With 12 lbs of extract your OG would be a lot higher than 1.055. I'm thinking somewhere around 1.08 - 1.10 (need confirmation from someone else).

Sounds like your fermentation is going ok and with a beer that big I would expect it to take longer than a week to finish.

I'm too lazy to run your recipe through promash, but twelve pounds of extract in a five gallon batch should get you an OG of no less than 1.080.

I'm not familiar with WLP 099, so I can't comment on how fast/slow it will ferment.

OG calculates to an estimated 1.105. FG is estimated at 1.024 with moderate attenuation, for an estimated ABV of just over 10%.

At present it's at about 7.5% ABV. Without proper aeration, a BIG starter, or a stepped fermentation, it might be done. Let it go for another 3-4 weeks and see what happens. There's not much else to do at this point.

That's what I was thinking getting a 1.080 OG. That's what the guy at the brew shop said I'd get too. My hydrometer is accurate, I just measured water at 60 *F and and got 1.0. 60*F is the temp I do all my testing at. The airlock has been releasing gas.

Also, I just rolled my fermenter around a bit.

My last post assumed Amber DME. If you used LME, the estimated OG is to 1.086.

If you didn't mix the wort thoroughly enough, you may have gotten a diluted sample. Anything in the 1.050 range is IMPOSSIBLE with the amount of extract you used.

After 9 days and you're still around 48 ?

I did a barley wine about 6 years ago, with an OG of 1.110.

Fermented at 70 F and after a week was at 24.

I'd believe your 48 reading, because everything is mixed up and has fermented.

I agree that your OG was way too low.

If you don't have controlled fermentation temps, you should be down 20 or less.

I used the White Labs 001 (did a double vial, and a starter)

Did you make a starter.

Maybe just leave for another week and test again.

Yuri_Rage said:
My last post assumed Amber DME. If you used LME, the estimated OG is to 1.086.

If you didn't mix the wort thoroughly enough, you may have gotten a diluted sample. Anything in the 1.050 range is IMPOSSIBLE with the amount of extract you used.

So I'm starting to think I screwed up on taking my OG. Are you suggesting that the only way I can avoid taking a diluted sample is by stirring the wort? Should I stir the wort at all stages of testing? Also just out of curiosity, how did you calculate the OG?

flashover600 said:
So I'm starting to think I screwed up on taking my OG. Are you suggesting that the only way I can avoid taking a diluted sample is by stirring the wort? Should I stir the wort at all stages of testing? Also just out of curiosity, how did you calculate the OG?

What Yuri is saying anytime you add H2O to the wort like topping off then it must be mixed completely or you will not get an accurate reading.

I agree, your OG was a diluted sample. Your current SG as tested is probably accurate because the vigor of fermentation blended the various concentrations.

If you just pitched a single white lab vial directly into this wort, I'm afraid to tell you that I don't think it's going to come out well.

A big beer like this is anything but simple. If it does attenuate enough to make it drinkable, keep in mind you'll want to age this thing for at least 3-4 months before even thinking about drinking it.

Back