Going all grain..first question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
I keep reading that after the mash time you need to pour a quart into a container and inspect for grains and then recycle into the MLT until the wort runs clear.

My question is how will the wort ever run clear if there is always grains in there. I mean, since your not taking out the grains how does recycling a couple quarts make it run clear?

Also is half half through 1/2 in copper pipe a good amount to cut with the hacksaw for drainage holes?

Thanks in advance

the grains compact a little and create a filter bed that screens out the husks.
i use a stainless screen off a water pipe so i can't advise on the cuts for the copper tube

The recycling gives th grain bed time to settle and form a natural filter. You will see when you start to drain, a lot of material and debris but within a couple quarts or so you will see less and less. Once you are comfortable with the amount, then just let it run out.

Dan

You will be surprised at how clear it gets. The first runnings for me always have a few large grain chunks and lots of smaller ones. I usually have to recirculate about 1 or 1 1/2 gallons before it clears.

EdWort said:
I use a stainless braid and it takes about 2 quarts then it's wide open for a batch sparge.

So you don't have to recirculate after a batch sparge? I thought you were supposed to.

Let the first wort run into your brewpot, then add more hot water, then stir again, then you have to recycle a quart or so again to clear it again after you stirred it.

EdWort said:
I use a stainless braid and it takes about 2 quarts then it's wide open for a batch sparge.
Yep, me too. I pour the runnings back into the cooler each time. Very simple.

As far as slit go, Mine are allllmost** halfway through the pipe, works like a charm. I have a 1inch copper tube though, not sure if it would work different on a half-incher. Might want to make sure you put a lot of slits though.

I use a copper pipe that I have taken a cutting wheel on a demal motor tool too. I put the cut facing down and it works like a champ. I run about a quart or two thru it and let the run off go into the pot. If you do wheat beers (50% or more of it being Wheat) I would use about 1/2 lb of rice huals to help filter.

Back