Aurora (Illinois) Homebrewers . . . inside . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Today, I took SWMBO and the kids up to Aurora for a family roadtrip. We went to the Roundhouse to see the Walter Payton museum (lame . . . especially since I am a Packers fan), but more importantly to sample the brews at America's Brewpub in the Roundhouse.

I was pretty impressed. I had the "Sweetness Stout" (football fans will get the name here). It was a fairly good milk stout - not too bold. Then I had a seasonal red they had - very impressive and drinkable. After dinner, I had a snifter of the Bourbon Barrel Cherry Imperial Stout

:eek:

Whoa! That is one great beer!

While I was drinking it, I was admiring the setup when the main brewer, Mike Rybinski (sp?) invited me in for a tour. He was brewing a Pilsner at the time and showed me the whole set up. He was super friendly and very open about his techniques, recipes, etc.

Aurora/Chicagoland folks, you have a great place at the Roundhouse.

:mug:

I've been there numerous times. Have a growler to get filled, as a matter of fact. But I didn't care for the cherry imperial. Too much of a cough syrup flavor for my tastes. But they had a 10%ABV(?) scottish(?) ale that was quite tasty.

It's a cool place. The packers suck, of course, but that's another matter altogether.

sonvolt said:
Today, I took SWMBO and the kids up to Aurora for a family roadtrip. We went to the Roundhouse to see the Walter Payton museum (lame . . . especially since I am a Packers fan), but more importantly to sample the brews at America's Brewpub in the Roundhouse.

I was pretty impressed. I had the "Sweetness Stout" (football fans will get the name here). It was a fairly good milk stout - not too bold. Then I had a seasonal red they had - very impressive and drinkable. After dinner, I had a snifter of the Bourbon Barrel Cherry Imperial Stout

:eek:

Whoa! That is one great beer!

While I was drinking it, I was admiring the setup when the main brewer, Mike Rybinski (sp?) invited me in for a tour. He was brewing a Pilsner at the time and showed me the whole set up. He was super friendly and very open about his techniques, recipes, etc.

Aurora/Chicagoland folks, you have a great place at the Roundhouse.

:mug:

You should have journeyed to Lisle last night.

I was supposed to go there for new year's eve, but the comic got canceled because of the Bear game. I'll have to make sure to venture out there sometime - perhaps the next SNIZZLE meeting!

Toot said:
But I didn't care for the cherry imperial. Too much of a cough syrup flavor for my tastes.

This has me Uber sad, all cherry beer I've tasted has been cough syrup. This actually sounds amazing to me, but like you tasted the vicks in it I'm sure i would. (single tear drops)

The packers suck, of course, but that's another matter altogether.

bravo :D

Back