Leaking from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basisforaday

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my first time trying to keg. I bought a couple used kegs and all the other hardware needed. I replaced all the o-rings and lubed them up with some keg lube. The post is on very tight. The disconnects fit on the post fine but they seem really loose. Are they supposed to be loose? I can definitely tell that that is where the leak is. I can also see that the o ring on the post does not stick out like I would think it would to make a good seal for the disconnect. It looks like it just barely reaches the outer part of the post. What do you guys think?

Disconnects should not be loose. Check to make sure they are the correct disconnects and that they are on the correct post. The O rings on mine are almost flush with the posts.

How would I know if they are the correct disconnects? They are ball lock and made for pepsi kegs. I have the grey one in the picture on the IN post and the black one on the OUT post. Should be right.

These are the ones I got:
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=36

Sounds right. The gray is gas and the black is liquid.

Is it only one of the disconnects that's loose? The posts may have been switched when the keg was rebuilt.

Nope, both are loose. I looked for the notched post as that should be gas, right? They look like they are on right.

Yeah if I put them on the post they are supposed to go on then they are loose. I put them on the opposite posts on the other keg and they are tight and hard to get off. I did the same to the first keg and the gas disconnect was tight and hard to get off but I couldn't get the liquid to go on right. Are they supposed to be hard to disconnect?

The gas side on almost all my kegs is a 12 point. The liquids are all 6 point. Other than that I'm not sure how to tell them apart.

Yeah if I put them on the post they are supposed to go on then they are loose. I put them on the opposite posts on the other keg and they are tight and hard to get off. I did the same to the first keg and the gas disconnect was tight and hard to get off but I couldn't get the liquid to go on right. Are they supposed to be hard to disconnect?

They should fit tightly, but not so tight that they need to be forced on or off.

There aren't any kind of o rings or washers that go in the disconnects are there?

No. Well, there are some IN there, but nothing that would cause a "loose" fit. If you didn't take them apart and lose some of the parts, they should be fine.

The disconnects "snap" on tightly to the posts. That's the part I don't understand- how they could fit loosely. You lift up the "ring" and snap them on. They are pretty darn tight. Unless your posts are undersized, I can't see them not fitting.

Do you have a camera, where you can take a picture of your posts, and the disconnects on them?

Are you sure the quick disconnects are seated all the way down? I remember the first time i tapped my keg setup, it didnt seal right. I opened the disconnect, and pushed down harder and it seated properly.

No. Well, there are some IN there, but nothing that would cause a "loose" fit. If you didn't take them apart and lose some of the parts, they should be fine.

The disconnects "snap" on tightly to the posts. That's the part I don't understand- how they could fit loosely. You lift up the "ring" and snap them on. They are pretty darn tight. Unless your posts are undersized, I can't see them not fitting.

Do you have a camera, where you can take a picture of your posts, and the disconnects on them?

I think the posts MUST be sized wrong. The disconnects fit on there but I can rock them back and forth some so they are just not tight like they should be.

Pictures:
http://img193.imageshack.us/g/photohw.jpg/
Sorry about the quality. They were taken with my iPhone.

Seriously, they dont look like they are seated all the way to the bottom. Pull on the disconnect, and push those suckers all the way down.

Not down that far, but further than your pics i think. I wish i was at home so i could look at mine. Im pretty sure, the bottom of that disconnect should be sitting almost directly on top of the 6 point.

There's no way that's happening with these posts/disconnects. Should I just buy new posts? These are the ones that came with the used kegs, I never replaced them.

Update: So I might have bought the wrong O rings. Looks like I'm using dip tube O rings rather than the slightly bigger post O rings that I am supposed to be using.

According to this website the dip tube O rings are 1/2 in outer diameter and the post O rings are 5/8 in outer diameter.

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

I think that might change things, right?

Update: So I might have bought the wrong O rings. Looks like I'm using dip tube O rings rather than the slightly bigger post O rings that I am supposed to be using.

According to this website the dip tube O rings are 1/2 in outer diameter and the post O rings are 5/8 in outer diameter.

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

I think that might change things, right?

Dip tube O ring is on the left. There is a pretty sizable difference.

Yes. This is what I was going to suggest. Not only do they need to be the right size, but also the right thickness. Keg posts are all the same size, and they don't "wear out."

Cornie lid o-ring size 417 Common supplier: McMaster-Carr part #9396K926

Cornie post o-ring size 111 Common supplier: McMaster-Carr part #9396K24

Cornie dip tube o-ring size 109 Common supplier: McMaster-Carr part #9396K74

these are silicon

regular black Buna-n
Cornie lid o-ring size 417 Common supplier: McMaster-Carr part #9452K218

Cornie post o-ring size 111 Common supplier: McMaster-Carr part #9452K23

Cornie dip tube o-ring size 109 Common supplier: McMaster-Carr part #9452K172

they ship extremely fast .

Fixed. Thanks guys. Also, FYI Lowe's carries both size O rings and they are very cheap there. Located in the plumbing section.

Latest posts

Back