Wyeast 1010.. UGH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto

ARC Brewing
Reaction score
Running over 24 hours since pitching the smack pack, have not seen any sign of fermentation, no bubbling of Krausen or anything. Pitched at 68 degrees, placed in a room at 67 degrees. Simple Wheat recipe 60/40 of wheat to 2Row. Should I wait any longer or throw in some S-05?

Yes I know, should have used starter.:eek:

Without a starter, a liquid yeast can easily take 72 hours to show any signs of fermentation. So, wait it out a few more days! I bet it'll start in the next day or so.

Hmm, I've used this yeast several times and it's always responsive. Most of the time I've got a blowoff in progress 24 hours after pitching. I'd give it one more day or two and see what happens. If there is no activity, then I would pitch a different yeast. Is it possible your yeast got frozen in transport, or perhaps is out of date?

Checked the dates, let it warm to room temp (67 degrees) for three hours and pitched. Last time w/o starter.:mad:

I just used Ringwood ale from Wyeast and the nutrient pack didn't open fully I had some weak activity in smack pack ... even after 6 hours it was just lightly inflated, but I pitched it anyways. It took ~36 hours to see activity, but its going fine now.

I've used this yeast twice and while I didn't have long lag times I noticed that it was a slow fermenter. Maybe it just needs a little more time to get going.

Back